• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Britney...

Share/Bookmark

Britney...

Not the overall sound, mind - just one particular synth/patch/sample.

I'm trying to recreate the trademark sound of some of the 'hits' on Britney's Max-Martin produced stuff. The most famous example would be at the start of 'Oops I did it again'. The stabs, on Db, have a very recogniseable, and specific sound.

It sounds like part of it may be piano, but with no release trail - almost as if someone's snipped the middle of a piano key sample and triggered it (with no key-strike or key-release sound) and I got somewhere near by using exessive gating on a piano sound, but it's still way off.

Is it a well known synth preset, or a combination of 3 or four instruments/samples, or something else entirely?

Would love to hear if anyone knows how I could get this particular sound.

Thumbs up Re: Britney...

Aaah! My kind of garl, a good body with no brain.

Re: Britney...

Sorry to state the obvious, but just sample it. No one will ever know.

Cheers

But if it's the noise I'm thinking of, it is a piano with no release, and then with some distortion. Use either a bit reducing digital distortion, or an amp - you'll get there with some fiddling.

Use the gating like you said and off you go.

Or just sample it :-)

I cannot remember 100% but Max Martin used that signature sound many times in those years.

It should be the piano sound coming out of a Roland JV1080 or 2080... Ask Eric Persing...

The release is almost zero-ed but there's not much processing applied to it apart some good amount of compression.

My 2 cents.

Best regards,

Simone Coen
    www.chocolateaudio.com
    Simone Coen
    Musician, Producer, Sample Library Producer
    www.chocolateaudio.com

Thanks for all the replies so far...

I can't find any audio, or samples of the JV1080 piano sound - and my own efforts are (thus far) no where near the sound I'm after.
    I'm trying to replicate a few different songs to hone my production skills, but I now fear this Britney track is going to become an unhealthy obsession. I'll be a vastly improved producer though, if I can get close to replicating the original!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Aaah! My kind of garl, a good body with no brain.
    I don't know about the good body part, but otherwise you're right . . . sounds like a perfect match!

Quote Originally Posted by wilx
    I'm trying to recreate the trademark sound of some of the 'hits' on Britney's Max-Martin produced stuff. The most famous example would be at the start of 'Oops I did it again'. The stabs, on Db, have a very recogniseable, and specific sound.
    First off, you owe me 99 cents.

On the version I downloaded, the open is guitar stabs. But the hits I think you must mean are called orchestra hits. Most general hardware synths like the Roland JV series had a few patches of different ones.

Back in the horse and buggy days, we'd sample the big hits from records, most famously Stravinsky's Firebird Suite had a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    I don't know about the good body part, but otherwise you're right . . . sounds like a perfect match!
    LOL...Well i have a goood body too!

P.S. You still piss at me Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    First off, you owe me 99 cents.
    ...?

As for the hits - I was looking for something similar to the old GM Orch hit, but updated, so maybe that would help. I might have a listen to Firebird to find that one - any excuse!

I'll have a hunt around.

Go Back to forum