• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much music do you compose per annum?

Share/Bookmark

How much music do you compose per annum?

Well...

I am struggling at the moment with numerous different projects (5 games to be exact), a PhD and the authoring of a book. I feel that my creativity is slowly fading away, and the more I'm struggling to create something the more BS my creativity gets.

On the other hand of course, from personal experience I know that under pressure (extreme) I can work very well, so I'm not entirely worried. After all it is my fault that I'm so deep...

Anyways my question:

I think that I'm a rather slow composer. I have calculated that I'm composing around one and a half hour of music every year (really approximately though...).

How about you? How about the ultra pros around? How much music can YOU compose per year? How much music does Williams compose (but of course if he's not orchetsrating his music, then it is 1/4 of the work imHo).

Am I crazy to expect to write around 3 hours of music this year (starting from September)?

And of course not all music is the same, not all music takes the same time to compose, and YES, I do spent more time when composing for my PhD, than when composing for computer games.

So hopefully I will stir up some discussions.

(Keep in mind of course that the authoring takes a big part of my time, as well as being here and in other forums)

Re: How much music do you compose per annum?

I compose very little, but some days before dec 31 i change all my music to 60bpm, so i can have brilliant statics about my work...
    Marcelo Colina

A few hours a year I think.

Williams composes about 4 minutes a day I beleive.

PS: You are working on far, far too many projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    PS: You are working on far, far too many projects.
    Each on of them wre opportunities not to be mished I'm afradi... But I know you're right.

What's saving me is that most of them are part,part,part-time, meaning that I do have to compose music for the games but the final deadline is at mid next year. Which gives me some time to complete my tasks (hope so).

But in all honesty I do think that all the projects sumed up won't go above 3 hours of music. This is achievable, no?

PS. Williams 4 minutes per day??? Blast me! That man is good! (and I jealous)

Well - my record was about 2 years ago. I had a project that was stupid insane. 17 hours in about 4 months. During the last 3 weeks of the project I defaulted to a bunch of copy/Paste, although I still had to think through the scenes. All in all I wrote around 9-10 hours worth during that time. The record was about 80 minutes worth which I did in 6 days. I won't be doing that again.

For me the ability to do such a large project was really just the result of having "an idea" of what will consistently work. You do it enough and you have kind of a bag of tricks if you will. You can't afford down time from writers block, so you have to default into the ability to develop a theme and quit trying to be creative. A lot of that project I just kind of wrote, and when I go back and listen I can't really tell the parts I spent lots of time on and the parts I spent little time on. I'm certain williams and the like are the same way.

I have a friend who was in london recording once when Williams was working on one of the star wars films. He said John would write cues on the spot and he had a whole room of orchestrators and copyiest who would flesh it out and 45 min. later they'd have a whole new section. Because they were recording to film I guess and would find spots they didn't like what he'd done originally.

In my experience I never have the time I want. I use to always find myself appologizing to my clients saying "it could be better if we could have more time next time". Then it hit me that the other guys bidding on these jobs don't have any more time than me. They just learned to do it. So I quit making excuses and started learning to do it quicker. That's really the only way to up the output - Force yourself!

Also - you get to a point where you can separate art and money. Money doesn't usually pay for Art. all they care about is getting their product out. And you've got to release yourself from trying to be "too" creative. Then one day you realize your "work" has risen to the next level and it's very close to where your creative work use to be.

Well - my record was about 2 years ago. I had a project that was stupid insane. 17 hours in about 4 months. During the last 3 weeks of the project I defaulted to a bunch of copy/Paste, although I still had to think through the scenes. All in all I wrote around 9-10 hours worth during that time. The record was about 80 minutes worth which I did in 6 days. I won't be doing that again.

For me the ability to do such a large project was really just the result of having "an idea" of what will consistently work. You do it enough and you have kind of a bag of tricks if you will. You can't afford down time from writers block, so you have to default into the ability to develop a theme and quit trying to be creative. A lot of that project I just kind of wrote, and when I go back and listen I can't really tell the parts I spent lots of time on and the parts I spent little time on. I'm certain williams and the like are the same way.

I have a friend who was in london recording once when Williams was working on one of the star wars films. He said John would write cues on the spot and he had a whole room of orchestrators and copyiest who would flesh it out and 45 min. later they'd have a whole new section. Because they were recording to film I guess and would find spots they didn't like what he'd done originally.

In my experience I never have the time I want. I use to always find myself appologizing to my clients saying "it could be better if we could have more time next time". Then it hit me that the other guys bidding on these jobs don't have any more time than me. They just learned to do it. So I quit making excuses and started learning to do it quicker. That's really the only way to up the output - Force yourself!

Also - you get to a point where you can separate art and money. Money doesn't usually pay for Art. all they care about is getting their product out. And you've got to release yourself from trying to be "too" creative. Then one day you realize your "work" has risen to the next level and it's very close to where your creative work use to be.

I see what you mean about that copy-and-paste mentality J. Whaley. Your last two posts were almost identical

"you get to a point where you can separate art and money. Money doesn't usually pay for Art. all they care about is getting their product out. And you've got to release yourself from trying to be "too" creative".

Wise words indeed...i worked for Sega last year and so wish that mantra had been stamped in my head beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Simpson
    I see what you mean about that copy-and-paste mentality J. Whaley. Your last two posts were almost identical

HA! Oops. what can I say, I practice what I preach

Go Back to forum