• Register
  • Help

Topic: Breaking the 2/3GB RAM limit on a PC?

Share/Bookmark

Breaking the 2/3GB RAM limit on a PC?

I'm sure many of you have encountered the sort of hard limitation on Windows XP RAM usage - 2GB per application. 3GB (with the proper switch) helps a bit because at least some of the memory is allocated to the OS itself. However, as I understand it, there is no other way in Windows XP Pro to get around this limitation, which makes it very difficult to do realtime work with very large sample libraries. However, Windows XP 64-bit can apparently access a great deal more RAM than that.

Does anyone here use XP 64-bit? If so, what have your experiences been? Any incompatibility problems with common samplers like Kontakt 2 or the Kompakt Player?

Thanks in advance!
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: Breaking the 2/3GB RAM limit on a PC?

I use XP - 64. Don't get rid of your XP-32 yet. Though XP 64 is stable and faster and uses more RAM, it isn't completely compatible. Altiverb and Gigastudio don't run on it. I'm seeing about half my DAW programs are compatible and it isn't easy to know which ones are or aren't till you own them. Most software will say XP compatible so you have to do extra homework to see if that means XP 64 as well.

I use Cakewalk software and it is very stable on XP 64. My suggestion is if you buy XP 64, keep your XP 32 around for running some of the samples and taking the load off the XP 64. Even with 8 gigs or RAM on XP 64, I can only put about 80 EWQLSO tracks on (basically everything but strings) till I start having memory problems on XP 64 so the strings are coming from my Xp 32 computer. Konpakt seems ok, Rapture, Sonar, EWQLSO and Choirs all work in 64. Atmospheres doesn't, gigastudio doesn't, Altiverb doesn't....I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Karim

AFAIK you can only break the 4GB limit on XP64 if everything in the chain is 64bit. As the current VST spec is still 32bit (nothing, apart from Cubase 4 plugs) exists in VST3 yet) you will be limited to 4GB. However, once all companies release 64bit versions of their software you should be able to load many more samples than at present. however, be aware that many companies are not planning to support XP64 ever; they are going straight for Vista 64bit.

D

Well, 4gb per app isn't bad - you could just create multiple instances of Kontakt 2 with 4gb allocation each, no?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum