• Register
  • Help

Topic: ERIC - you're a genius!!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking ERIC - you're a genius!!!

I just have to say that Eric - you're a friggin' genius....I just want to give you a great big hug!

I've been using a number of synths...Sytrus, Dimension Pro, Vanguard, Beast, FireBird, etc., but I never felt like the particular sounds/patches I used in certain tracks with these synths were spot on compared to what I was hearing in my head. SO....I started a little project when I woke up this morning to start auditioning Atmosphere & Trilogy in place of the instruments I had in each of my projects....AND OH MY GOD....the sounds I'm getting out of these 2 are EXACTLY what I was hearing in my head!!! I can't believe it.....it's like the heavens have opened up and as a musician....the feeling of hearing that exact sound I originally wanted....just gives me goosebumps. I do not know how I ever lived without these 2....I'm kicking myself in the butt now as I should have bought both of these when I picked up RMX last X-Mas. (I LOVE RMX....but only bought these 2 about a couple of weeks ago)

I really feel like a little kid in a candy store as trying to get that exact sound I hear in my head is not so easy, esp. since I'm not one to spend much time fine-tuning a patch. So hearing damn near what I originally wanted for each of the parts....is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Both of these synths are just so damn easy to use as well....which is a big plus in my book as I rather sit down and write music than fiddle with a bunch of settings, so unless the patch needs fine-tuning to fit in the mix better....I'm more of a pick and forget kinda fella.

Anyway....I just HAD to scream out here as now that I really had a chance to see how Atmosphere & Trilogy sit in my tracks....I'm floored by the variety. This is bad...really bad for these other synths I own as other than trancy or acoustic sounds, in a matter of several hours, Trilogy & Atmosphere is starting to render them useless to me. These are DEFINITELY going to be my go-to synths now....hands down...by miles.

Eric...I REALLY can't wait now for what else you're working on as I truly am grateful for all 3 of your synths as they are perfect for my style of writing music. I will never question anymore of your stuff....I'm going to be your biggest fan. I'm telling you now, I ain't spening another dime on anymore synths other than whatever you come out with. I was keeping an eye on reFX Nexus, but forget it...these 2 by themselves cover so much ground for me, that I really don't need anything else. I'm just going to patiently sit back and wait for you guys and that's that!

OK...I need to go jump up and down some more....

Re: ERIC - you're a genius!!!

Quote Originally Posted by holymoly
    ...these 2 by themselves cover so much ground for me, that I really don't need anything else....
    Hey, friend !

I share your feelings about these "instruments", but i just wanted to say that it lies in the nature of a musician/composer that he ALWAYS needs more. :-)

Having said that ... wouldn't it be cool if we were able to buy a couple of add-on packages for the ATMOSPHERE and the TRILOGY (just like all/most of us did for the STYLUS RMX). It has been pretty quite on the SPECTRASONICS site lately and i'm sure that our friendly magicians are busy working on something new that will make our musical lives (again) much nicer/easier.

It's good to have these guys on our side.

T.
    The Art Of Making Art !

I also feel there can never be to much praise for Eric!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I want to also agree with the praise offered in this thread. All of Spectrasonics stuff clearly stands above the rest. Now we just need Atmosphere and Trilogy in UB so the upgrade to an Intel Mac doesn't hurt so much!

matthew

Quote Originally Posted by count2four123
    Hey, friend !

I share your feelings about these "instruments", but i just wanted to say that it lies in the nature of a musician/composer that he ALWAYS needs more. :-)

Having said that ... wouldn't it be cool if we were able to buy a couple of add-on packages for the ATMOSPHERE and the TRILOGY (just like all/most of us did for the STYLUS RMX). It has been pretty quite on the SPECTRASONICS site lately and i'm sure that our friendly magicians are busy working on something new that will make our musical lives (again) much nicer/easier.

It's good to have these guys on our side.

T.
    Hehe...you definitely have a point that we always want more! That explains the reason why I've ended up with all the synths I own!

Maybe I'm a closet synth junkie....I don't know, but one thing that I just can't get my head around on and really have NO desire in doing...is programming the damn things. I'm coming to terms with myself that I am indeed a "patch-junkie". Why? Because the patches included in all these synths are just already so good, so there's no reason why I need to reinvent the wheel and come up with something that's already been done + I simply don't have the patience. When I sit down to start writing music....I want to sit down and start writing music. Playing around with oscillators and various samples and twiddling the settings just does not get my rockers off and more importantly, I start losing inspiration....esp. since it can take hours to perfect a single patch, so this is where Atmosphere and Trilogy have been put way up on the pedestal for me as now in 2 packages...I have a multitude of synths & basses from a variety of hardware and software synths at my disposal - all handmade and passed thru the quality control of Eric. What more can I ask?? It surely beats the heck out of using a variety of synths to try and get those same sounds he's developed for both of these + in all the parts I've replaced these 2 synths with....the patches I found have fit perfectly...more than my expectation. Not to mention the interface of both and 2 layers is just so refreshing for me as I can finally explore using different layers to create different sounds without having a headache of messing with "external samples", wavetables and oscillators and the settings that accompany them.

So yeah...I'm definitely looking forward to see what upgrades all 3 of these are going to get as v1 of Atmosphere & Trilogy are just spectacular.

As for expansions..... - I have all 5 of the RMX expansions and in fact bought all 5 at the same time I bought RMX. I did not hold back, so yes sir, indeed - if Eric & The Gang came out with any kind of expansions for Atmosphere & Trilogy - you can bet your bottom-dollar I'll rush to be the first in line.

Hello everyone! I just joined this forum today.

I thought this would be a good first post. I started my hand at producing music late last year. Since then I have purchased several soft synths. I recently bought Stylus RMX and Atmosphere a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say that has made more of a difference than anything else. I'm planning on getting Trilogy one day in the future. Spectrasonics' products are top-notch. I'll be first in line if they ever have expansions for Atmosphere.

I do like playing with knobs, tweaking sounds, creating my own, etc. I use Cakewalk's Rapture for that.

I now know its not just the musician in each of us that makes good music; it also has to do with the tools we use.

Take care,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by holymoly
    Maybe I'm a closet synth junkie....I don't know, but one thing that I just can't get my head around on and really have NO desire in doing...is programming the damn things. I'm coming to terms with myself that I am indeed a "patch-junkie". Why? Because the patches included in all these synths are just already so good, so there's no reason why I need to reinvent the wheel and come up with something that's already been done + I simply don't have the patience. When I sit down to start writing music....I want to sit down and start writing music.
    Man, can you read my mind? Same thoughts here. I know some guys that can program some of their equipment really well, but I'm not one of that kind. I just want to concentrate on my music and making music with other people. And noone has ever complained about the presets I choose for my sounds. :-)

And while I agree with everyone here that the sound selection in ATHMOSPHERE is simply phenomenal, it doesn't mean that our friends from SPECTRASONICS aren't capable to top themselves once again and give us ATHMOSPHERE RELOADED etc. I mean, I'm sure they had enough time to produce a couple of new sounds/loops since these 3 plug-instruments came out. Check out that NEW ORLEANS bundle for a little taster of what kind of quality the future could hold for us.

T.
    The Art Of Making Art !

I used to be pretty good at making patches on my older synths. But that was back when there was a knob for every parameter and you had 3 waveforms, no effects, etc. Once synths got into multi-pages I found I spent more time fiddling than playing. Then I read an interview with Jam and Lewis (Janet Jackson's producers) and one of them said "The guys that make these synths know them way better than I do, how the heck will I make a better sound than the expert programmers at Korg Roland etc?"

I buy softsynths for there patches now. Some of these babies come with 2000+ presets. Multiply that by the 20-30 VST's I own and if I can't find it in there I'll never find it.

As far as Eric's new products here's my prediction:

It will be like the new Ultimate Sound Bank Plugsound Pro. (but better) It will be a massive VST that will incorporate the groove capabilities of Stylus but will be used for more than just drums and percussion. It will include expanders like Symphony of Voices, Hans Zimmer Guitars, Vocal Planet, etc. You will have access to a huge number of grooves that are both rhythmic and melodic. You will be able to add your own audio clips and loops and mangle them to your hearts content. The rack of FX in Stylus will be accesible in your host program, and you can run all of your MIDI and audio tracks through this new VST. It will have a ton of new content as well as Spectrasonics older CD libs.

There ya go...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I was told that what Spectrasonics is working on is more like...Seamonkey...

Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Then I read an interview with Jam and Lewis (Janet Jackson's producers) and one of them said "The guys that make these synths know them way better than I do, how the heck will I make a better sound than the expert programmers at Korg Roland etc?"

I buy softsynths for there patches now. Some of these babies come with 2000+ presets. Multiply that by the 20-30 VST's I own and if I can't find it in there I'll never find it.
    I've come to the same conclusion. After having bought so many softsynths over the years, I think I truly have enough sounds by now. It has become such an addiction to check out the new free synths, Reaktor user library, etc. that the over-abundance of choices to wade through can easily take precedence to actually making music! Therefore, I've concluded that the synths I will upgrade will be the Spectrasonics stuff (I own all three), provided that the next incarnations don't increase their CPU requirements astronomically like some other developers updates. Keep them somewhat efficient, please!

Go Back to forum