• Register
  • Help

Topic: difference firewire and usb2 for audiointerface?

Share/Bookmark

difference firewire and usb2 for audiointerface?

hello,

i am looking for a good audiointerface.
    can someone explain to me what the difference is between a firewire and an usb2 interface.
    i see that the firewire interfaces are always more expensive.
    Are they better then usb2? if so .why?

thanks
    Bart

Re: difference firewire and usb2 for audiointerface?

If you haven't found your answer yet, perhaps this link will help you discern the differences: http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm
    Nuendo 3.2.1.1153 | Houston CS | Avid Liquid 7.1 SP1 3581| Wavelab 5.01b | Halion 3.2.2.1400 | HSO 1.0 | Motif ES6 | RME HDSP 9652 | MSI 6758 V. 2.00, Intel P4 2.8, 2GB DDR | Canopus ADVC300

That's a nice analysis of Firewire vs. USB for asynchronous transfers, which apply to hard drives, printers and general control data.

However, audio and video streams are handled by Firewire isochronously. That means that the two devices agree on the bandwidth needed, they reserve it and the data is streamed with very low latency. The best part is that the bandwidth is guaranteed. No 3rd party is allowed to steal the bus and glitch your audio.

Isochornous transfers were one of the key features of the Firewire spec. I don't believe that USB-2 matches it. That's why almost all camcorders use Firewire. It was made to stream.

For audio and video streaming, I would almost always choose Firewire over USB.

I use both, Firewire and USB 2.0, for audio and video streaming without any difficulty on multiple systems. I capture video via Firewire through a Canopus ADVC 300, and Stream video and audio via eSata and USB 2.0 external drive enclosures indiscriminately. I also have clients and colleagues that use the USB 2.0 Pinnacle/AVID Liquid Pro BOB to great effect. So, despite the science, I wouldn't dismiss USB 2.0 out-of-hand.
    Nuendo 3.2.1.1153 | Houston CS | Avid Liquid 7.1 SP1 3581| Wavelab 5.01b | Halion 3.2.2.1400 | HSO 1.0 | Motif ES6 | RME HDSP 9652 | MSI 6758 V. 2.00, Intel P4 2.8, 2GB DDR | Canopus ADVC300

Quote Originally Posted by J L Bowie
    I wouldn't dismiss USB 2.0 out-of-hand.
    True. Both work. But if I want guaranteed bandwidth for streaming, 1394 is the safer bet. It was built around ensuring bandwidth with low latency.

Of course, you can also go with FW800 for some products. (Disc drives anyway). It definitely beats USB 2.0.

Go Back to forum