Share/Bookmark

Five & Dime - a concert rag

Just put the finishing touches on a new piano rag:

Five & Dime - a concert rag, 6:22, 9.0Mb - original recipe

Five & Dime - a concert rag, 6:20, 8.9Mb - new and improved

This was an experiment.

Re: Five & Dime - a concert rag

Different.

I got pretty antsy because I couldn't determine the meter. What is your time signature? To my way of thinking, when music doesn't have a good, solid meter, upon which you can base your internal musical clock, it is a bit unnerving. Don't interpret that as criticism. It is just my not-so-humble opinion.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,

It's in 5/8 throughout (I was hoping the title would be a clue). As I said, an experiment, and I was curious as to the effect on the casual listener. Now I know!

I find that odd meter makes ragtime even raggier, though a five-legged critter might not even notice.

Thanks for listening!

I really enjoyed your use of 5/8. I have a couple of suggestions. First, I would use less reverb; listening to it, I was imagining Scott Joplin performing in Notre Dame Cathedral. Second, you might consider using a "honkey tonk" piano sound. Mind you, these are subjective comments. Compositionally speaking, I thought this piece was great!

cheers!
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Hi James,

So as not to disturb the neighbors (esp. late at night), I mix everything with headphones, so in general, even things with much reverb tend to sound "close enough". That said, I like the illusion of standing maybe 40 feet from the solo piano in an empty, medium-sized recital hall. It kind of helps make the rag sound especially sad & forlorn in spots.

As far as "honky-tonk" goes, I don't approve of that timbre at all except maybe as an effect. It would be highly inappropriate for this particular piece, and imo, all ragtime in general, as the mature rag style was never intended to be played either fast or staccato.

Thank you for the kind feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Hi Larry,

It's in 5/8 throughout (I was hoping the title would be a clue). As I said, an experiment, and I was curious as to the effect on the casual listener. Now I know!

I find that odd meter makes ragtime even raggier, though a five-legged critter might not even notice.

Thanks for listening!
    Five is five all right but "dime" infers ten as in ten cents. That would make your title give the clue of 5/10 time.

Whatever.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Well, there weren't any five and pieces-of-eight stores at the turn of the century, hence the title.

On the other hand, you can think of them as "tenth notes" instead of eighth notes, if that would help. Isn't that what they use in the metric system?

And on the thrid hand, or fifth if you prefer, you may consider a two measure phrase as a "dime", i.e., 5 + 5 = 10, as the whole thing is in even measured phrases. One may count ten as easily as five (well, maybe a little less easily).

Darwin,

Very clever piece and the 5/8 meter gives it a very unique flavor. Nice thought on the name as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nice work on this, Darwin; the 5/8 signature can
    be difficult to handle in a rag like this, but you've
    managed it smoothly and well. Most enjoyable!

Perhaps slightly less reverb, as others have said.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A wonderful little piece - thanks for sharing!

My only suggestion (the reverb was fine with me) would be that the left hand upbeats seem a little too strong - overshadowing up the melody in places. Maybe just boosting the right hand volume would do the trick, or making the upbeats a little softer (or even a little shorter).

Great work though!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast