• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is GVI More Stable?

Share/Bookmark

Is GVI More Stable?

Ever since I moved from Giga Solo to Ensemble, I have had numerous BSOD issues. I don't know why there would be a difference between these two versions, but there seems to be. I have run prime95 for hours on end with no sign of issue, but until I turned off as many things as possible under the "Troubleshooting" tab, I could not load GS3. I now run GS as a ReWire into Sonar, and prefer it that way, so the fact that GS does not connect directly to my audio card is no big deal.

The real rub was when I suggested to a friend that he get GS, and then we could NEVER get it to work on his very powerful HP laptop. Thus my question. If we "upgrade" to GVI, will it tend to be more stable, or about the same as GS3?

BTW are you-all aware that ScitScat is selling Ensemble for 49 bucks?

Best,

Poco

Re: Is GVI More Stable?

GVI is much more stable.

Giga "proper" runs in Windows Kernel Mode which offers certain performance advantages but also can make Giga more susceptible to conflicts and things that wouldn't be as problematic to an app running in Windows User Mode.

GVI, like all other VST instruments, runs in Windows User Mode.

Once I "registered" GVI within Cubase SX3, it opened and ran flawlessly.

The first thing I did with GVI was stack dozens of instruments on each of the 16 channels, and load two separate instances of GigaPulse VST (within Cubase), each for a different GVI channel, and was able to play everything without a problem.

How funny it was to be able to load both SampleTekk's TBO and 7CG piano instruments (two different 7CG .gsi files) and GigaPulse VST on a single channel, and still have plenty of room available for more instruments!!

Watching the Windows Task Manager, I saw that cubase.exe seemed to hit the wall at about 1.7GB... meaning that I couldn't load any more sounds in GVI beyond that point -- GVI seemed to take a moment to consider whether to load an additional instrument, then just decide not to. I could have probably loaded more with smaller instruments, but I got the general picture...

With the new version 3.51 update, users can now load multiple instances of GVI, so you should be able to load as much stuff as you want.

---------------------------

As to why you and your friend couldn't get Giga to launch/run properly, there are many possible reasons why that may be, most if not all of which are solve-able, and many of which have been discussed here, at L-G-S, and elsewhere.

Trying to launch versions prior to 3.12 on a dual-core machine could result in BSoDs. The presence of certain Nero apps on the same machine could cause problems, the presence of antivirus software, etc.....

There are folks from TASCAM participating actively at L-G-S... you and/or your friend could post Giga's self-generated diagnostic reports there and possibly get some useful feedback from them...

Good luck!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

IMO these GS "performance advantages" are practically non-existant. At one time this was true, but on a modern machine there is no real performance advantage that I can sense. I've run both GS2/3 and GVI.

I can run Cubase with GVI at less than 2ms on a pretty heft project, so latency is not an issue. Samples seem to load much faster in GVI than GS3 used to (maybe its my newer machine - I cannot compare as I don't have GS3 installed any more). I can load over twice as many samples into RAM with GVI as I could with GS3. For me, these are the real measures of performance and GVI is outdoing GS3 in every way that matters to me. I also prefer to have it as a VST and am able to load all project settings simply by opening Cubase and calling up the project. GVI has only acted strange when reaching the out of memory limit (about 2.7 GB on my box). At this point, the instance of GVI which reached the limit is unusable and simply needs to be unloaded and started again - the next time making sure not to hit the limit. It does not crash. I have not had a single BSOD. I'm very happy with GVI and can't see going back.

Also, I may be wrong here, but any GVI latency could be corrected with sample perfect accuracy, where any GS latency, even if it is very, very low will not be corrected (my guess).

As 2GB RAM sticks become more affordable and 64bit hosts and 64bit GVI become a reality, I think GVI will gain more traction versus GS (even as GS becomes 64 bit capable as well). The ability to load 7+ GB should keep most folks happy for awhile. That would mean I could load just about every sample I have that matters - just a guess. I am looking forward to those times - I expect a reality in a couple years.

Hi Fizbin and Alan,
    This is interesting to me as a nuendo user.

Could either of you post on how gig files with gigapulse built in are performing in GVI- i.e, Gigapiano, Larry Seyer drums.

both of these need gigapulse to really get the best out of them

I do not have gigapulse vsti and want to know how much these instruments are sacrificed in GVI.

thanks guys

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    As 2GB RAM sticks become more affordable and 64bit hosts and 64bit GVI become a reality, I think GVI will gain more traction versus GS (even as GS becomes 64 bit capable as well). The ability to load 7+ GB should keep most folks happy for awhile. That would mean I could load just about every sample I have that matters - just a guess. I am looking forward to those times - I expect a reality in a couple years.
    You're probably right. The biggest advantage of "Giga proper" over GVI-with-a-separate-convolution-engine (other than the lack of a need to purchase a separate convolution engine) is the ability to perform heavy sample editing. Many folks won't need that, but it will remain indispensible for those who do need (or would make good use of) it.

I believe that Jon Fairhurst has written in other threads about the advantages of GS3 over GVI... his words are always worth returning to...

I haven't tried working with iMIDI scripting in either GS3 or GVI, so I don't know what the difference is there.

As to Peter's question regarding .gig files with built-in GigaPulse... I don't know yet. I'm deeply involved with a single GS3 project right now... a piano jazz trio that is so pedal-depressed-piano-note and drum-hit intensive that I haven't had a chance to work on (or play with) anything else for a while.

Although I did create it in GS3, I tried playing it in GVI. It sounded *almost* the same. There seemed to be "polyphony differences" between the two (I sometimes get what I believe to be polyphony-related lost-note/momentarily-disappearing-sustain problems in both apps, but I'm not really surprised, considering the musical density), and I haven't really had the chance to figure out the optimal configuration settings for GVI. I'll be sure to post something, once I've had a chance to do a proper A/B...

I know that Larry Seyer wrote about the way that GVI handles GigaPulse-encoded instruments in a semi-recent LGS thread. Are you the same Peter? If so, he wrote in response to your question, so I won't bore you by repeating the details...
    — alanb

It is not stable. Sometimes in NUENDO when you loud samples you will get only noises. Then you have to close GVI and start again. What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Bruckner
    It is not stable. Sometimes in NUENDO when you loud samples you will get only noises. Then you have to close GVI and start again. What is this?
    Hi AB,

The general consensus has been that GVI is nice and stable. Sorry things aren't working out for you right now, but I'm sure that the problem will get sorted out...

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the specific workings of Nuendo.

Easy question first: Have you updated GVI to version 3.51?

According to the TASCAM statement over at LGS, "GVI now supports multiple instances on multi-processor (dual core) computers for Steinberg’s Cubase, Steinberg’s Nuendo and Digidesign’s Pro Tools."

So clearly they are looking at how GVI works within the Nuendo environment. There were, definitely, problems when people tried loading more than one instance of GVI before the update came out...

If you haven't already asked about your problem at LGS, you should. Larry Seyer and real live TASCAM people are participating actively there -- it's a good resource.

Good luck!!
    — alanb

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Bruckner
    This kind of post gets no traction with developers who may be monitoring this forum. I would suggest considerably more detail.

- G

11-02-2006 07:03 AM

I received my GVI a few days ago and while loading a few of the factory sounds I had this exact problem too. I am using Nuendo 3.2 on PC and I'm running the "out of the box" version of GVI, so I didn't install Version 3.51.
    Maybe this problem is solved with the update. I will check this this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by mckracken
    11-02-2006 07:03 AM

I received my GVI a few days ago and while loading a few of the factory sounds I had this exact problem too. I am using Nuendo 3.2 on PC and I'm running the "out of the box" version of GVI, so I didn't install Version 3.51.
    Maybe this problem is solved with the update. I will check this this afternoon.
    If the problem persists, give some more info about (i) your system, (ii) which sounds you're trying to load, and (iii) what "noises" you're actually hearing...
    — alanb

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast