• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity vs. Volume

Share/Bookmark

Velocity vs. Volume

Is this a realistic thought?
    As the volume is independent of velocity:
    All instruments, but special strings, when starting a piano-phrase keep the velocity low as it is the attack and the attack has some influence on the bowing of low-volume phrases, more than on high-volume phrases.

Explanation: piano-phrase is a sentence to be played piano.

Raymond

Re: Velocity vs. Volume

Raymond, you touched a very sensative nerve here with me and my desire for some more options in these libraries.

I too wish there was a way to play these instruments with the mod wheel like we do, BUT the mod wheel's position would instruct the velocity of the notes.

This would improve so many mock ups that I hear posted on NS where velocities are often too low or too high relative to the ideal (musical) dynamics of the instrument at any given moment.

Enough said from me,

This would be awesome though.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I too wish there was a way to play these instruments with the mod wheel like we do, BUT the mod wheel's position would instruct the velocity of the notes.
    I don't understand this. I thought that the modwheel for adding volume was independent of the velocity in the sense that it doesn't influence the velocity at all (at least in Sonar when adding CC#1 info with the modwheel).

This would improve so many mock ups that I hear posted on NS where velocities are often too low or too high relative to the ideal (musical) dynamics of the instrument at any given moment.
    I think the origin is the notation program. They still use velocity as a surrogate volume and we are accustomed to this (while listening to the score playing back via a synthesizer).

I am on the brink of fine tuning a new piece (will take a couple of days to finish) and I think I try out this thought.

Raymond

I could be wrong, but don't most instruments mod wheel fade through higher velocity samples just like the velocity of a key does? just in a fluid motion rather than a key press? I'm speaking about Multi-sampled instruments of course.

~Fire
    ~Sam Ferrara~

For strings and winds the velocity (attack) is independant of the dynamic, and this is absolutely the way it should be. For example, a wind player can play piano with a sharp tongue for staccato, or can play forte with a softer tongue if they wish to avoid accenting the note. Having control over the two parameters seperately is vital to realism, in my opinion.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Having control over the two parameters seperately is vital to realism, in my opinion.
    Interesting discussion--And I've pulled out your quote, Skysaw, because I'm in 100% agreement. To have the Mod Wheel dictate the velocity, as Dan suggested, would cripple one of the features which makes GPO so potentially expressive. As was pointed out, the need for a sharp attack at a low volume is an effect sometimes needed, as per "real" orchestral performances--and that's just one example of why having velocity and volume as two separate parameters is a Good, sophisticated ability to have in the program.

When I first got GPO last year, I downloaded a utility from the GPO site--I suppose it's still there--It was for automatically generating cc#1 control based on a MIDI file's velocity information. This does exactly what Dan is saying he would like to do. But it only took me a few minutes to hear for myself that this was Not what I wanted to do when translating my existing MIDI files.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Interesting discussion--And I've pulled out your quote, Skysaw, because I'm in 100% agreement.
    And I'm in agreement too - as should be obvious because that is why I programmed things the way I did in the first place. It is essential to have independence for these elements so that the full range of possibilities is not reduced. Simplicity is usually a good thing, but not at the expense of capabilities.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    And I'm in agreement too - as should be obvious because that is why I programmed things the way I did in the first place. It is essential to have independence for these elements so that the full range of possibilities is not reduced. Simplicity is usually a good thing, but not at the expense of capabilities.
    Could not agree more. This is why GPO's concept towards sustaining instruments is so special! (and never equalled!)

R.

Go Back to forum