• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need guitar library

Share/Bookmark

Need guitar library

Hello Tom and Garry,

I wish to have more guitar libraries in the Jabb because I urgently need it to write the guitar track with the Latino Jazz style. I am very satisfied with the brass and woodwind intruments in the Jabb, while writing with Finale 2006 and Cakewalk, as it sound like real instruments with many muted style. But, while I compare with orchestra of real instruments, the guitar part of the Jabb is still like an old midi computer sound. May you give some advices how to fine tune it, if possible?

I also tested the demo of prominy-LPC Guitar libraries and found a huge guitar that sound like real instruments. But I also doubt that it can work with Garritan Studio. I purchased the GPO soon after the Jabb so that I can include one or two violine tracks into the song. The small problem is that I need to use both libraries with Garritan Studio, because I cannot use the Jabb directly with Finale. With LPC, I also need to purchase the Kontakt 2.0 player separately. If it cannot work with the Jabb, it is useless because I need to produce scores with a guitar track that mix with the brass and woodwind instruments, and the last two are my first favorite.

So it is best if you can produce more guitar sound that is compatible with the Garritan Studio, at least with clean electric guitar, because as far as I know, it fit perfectly with the Latino style.

Best Regards,

Re: Need guitar library

Dear All,

I apology for posting this naive subject since I am just a new Garritan user and an inexperienced and self taught composer.

Through another thread, I found out that I need Finale 2007 that arrives with Kontakt 2.0 player, and can use it directly with JABB and GPO, which I am going to upgrade later.

But I still need to find a way to fine tune the JABB guitar library or keep it as a wish list for the next update.

Again, I will be gratefull if Tom or Garry can give some advice.

Thank you,

Sorry to take so long to reply. I missed this thread somehow. Anyway, along with putting your additional instrument requests onto the list of possibilities, there are some issues here: First, how to use the JABB guitar effectively and second, how to use other libraries with JABB in a Finale environment.

The guitar in JABB (especially the mellow electric) is intended to function as a standard Jim Hall type sound. But that just gets you the basic sound. Beyond that you need to "play" the instrument with techniques that mimic what a guitar player would do. In other words, you can't play it like a keyboard. The best advice I can give you is to find a recorded example of guitar and then try emulating what you hear by doing A/B comparisons. Put the guitar audio on one track and your MIDI emulation on another track. You will learn a lot from the comparison.

As for Finale, you are in a bit of a bind there until Finale gives more freedom to users to load third party samplers and plugins. I'm not sure what their plans are in this area.

In your second message you talk about "fine tuning" the JABB guitars. I'm assuming you aren't referring to pitch adjustments but, rather, to editing options - correct? Editing of instrument programming will be (as it always has been) available only in the full version of Kontakt. That's one of the differences determined entirely by NI and I don't expect it to change. But keep in mind that if you are using the library in a well-equipped sequencing environment like Sonar, Cubase, or Logic that you have many tools at your disposal for modifying the basic sound of these instruments. EQ, compression, convolution, reverb, delay, phasing, flanging, amp simulation, etc. are all standard fare in these workstations. A huge palette of variations can be created by learning how to use these tools and applying them appropriately. Hope this helps.

Tom

Thank you Tom, for your valuable advice.

Yes, I believe that fine tuning the guitar library programmatically may help. Comparing the sound of the guitar library and other instruments with the real one, by fine tuning programmatically, is the way I try to study music composition. Once I put a note into a measure, hearing the real sound of the instrument out of my PC can also help me to learn orchestration.

So, music composition and orchestration are even more closely related, thank to the help of your library, and perhaps among a few other libraries. Again, if we push the art of computer programming to the limit and still cannot get the real guitar sound, I still hope to put it into a wish list. I hope one day you will produce more guitar libraries, similar to the JABB and the Stradivari Solo Violin. By taking your advice, I will try with Sonar and Cubase as well.

Somehow I tried a few times with the full version of Kontakt 2.0 as well, but without success. It does not allow me to change anything from the JABB library. Of course, your advice motivates me to try again.

Again, I feel gratefull for your advice.

Best Regards,

I don't know anything about the Prominy library, but if it can run in stand alone mode, you can have Finale 2006 send MIDI data to it through a virtual MIDI cable like MIDI Yoke in precisely the same way as you send MIDI data to Garritan Studio. You just assign the Prominy to one MIDI Out port in Finale and Garritan Studio with JABB to one or more other MIDI Out ports. So, you don't have to upgrade to Finale 2007. You can spend your money on sample libraries instead.

I just took a look at the Prominy-LPC library. It seems to be a K2 library. That's your luck since you can then use the LPC as well as JABB in K2 (even within the same instance) and load K2 as a VST plugin in Finale.

Thanks Nickie, for your advice,

If LPC is working well with K2 Player that comes with Finale 2007, it will save us a lot in mixing guitar track with JABB and GPO. This is the reason I hope that Finale 2007 has something new, among others, such as better human play back and trumpet shake.

Bes Regards,

Symon,

LPC is a Kontakt 2 (or GigaStudio 3) library, not a Kontakt Player 2 library, so it won't work with Finale's Kontakt Player 2. Your only options to use it is with either Kontakt 2 or GigaStudio 3.

Dear Nickie,

Thanks again for your correction. I have a Kontakt 2 in my PC, that seems to be a full version, which I am still very new to it. But I do not have the LPC yet and I hear only its mp3 demo. As I said, I tested the Kontakt 2 with a few JABB instruments such as Saxo and Trombone, but it did not give any sound when I press the virtual keyboard with the mouse, even if I raised the ModWheel. Perhaps I might set something wrong in my PC.

Anyway, I will try again and will read its manual as well as other threads more thoroughly that relate to JABB, GPO and Kontakt 2.

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    But keep in mind that if you are using the library in a well-equipped sequencing environment like Sonar, Cubase, or Logic that you have many tools at your disposal for modifying the basic sound of these instruments. EQ, compression, convolution, reverb, delay, phasing, flanging, amp simulation, etc. are all standard fare in these workstations. A huge palette of variations can be created by learning how to use these tools and applying them appropriately. Hope this helps.

Tom
    With specific regard to the JABB electric guitar, I'd appreciate tips from Sonar users on applying the tools Tom mentions. Or an amp plugin recommendation. I'm tweaking the controllers to which the guitar responds, but so far no great improvement. Just wondering if others have worked out a methodical approach to make the electric guitar more expressive. [I'm not a guitarist, btw, and am using pre-recorded midi tracks.]

Thanks for any help, Ron

Go Back to forum