• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Downloadable Sampletekk Grands: need help

Share/Bookmark

Downloadable Sampletekk Grands: need help

Hi forum guys,

Last week I downloaded a couple of the Sampletekk Black Grands, and I'll be using them with EXS24, not Gigastudio. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out installation for the EXS24 though, and there aren't any instructions for EXS installation -- I know that after the first 2 .RAR files are unstuffed, the rest of them are supposed to self-unstuff, but I don't know how to trigger the installation in the first place.

If anyone has been down this road already and figured it out, would you leave some hints here on the board or via private message?

Thanks much,

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Re: Downloadable Sampletekk Grands: need help

You don't really need to "install" EXS instruments

1. Drag the .exs files into your EXS Instruments folder (they can be put into a "pianos" sub-folder if you wish).
    2. Drag the folder containing the Black Grand samples into your EXS Samples folder
    3. That's it

Hi Hint,

I know how to drag&drop the EXS stuff, but the problem is that the EXS files (WAV's) themselves are in the RAR folders that are supposed to unstuff automatically once you begin the installation process -- for each piano library. So in order to reach those WAV's you have to start some kind of installation... for which there aren't any instructions. There are some .GIG files, but those would simply be translated into EXS24 when you select them from within EXS24 -- they won't somehow trigger 24 RAR files to unstuff, releasing 10 GB worth of sounds.

I've tried emailing tech support at sampletekk but unfortunately haven't gotten any installation instructions, only instructions for gigastudio install.

Anyone? I'd love to get rolling with these new sounds... the demos sounded pretty fantastic.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc
    Hi Hint,

I know how to drag&drop the EXS stuff, but the problem is that the EXS files (WAV's) themselves are in the RAR folders that are supposed to unstuff automatically once you begin the installation process -- for each piano library. So in order to reach those WAV's you have to start some kind of installation... for which there aren't any instructions. There are some .GIG files, but those would simply be translated into EXS24 when you select them from within EXS24 -- they won't somehow trigger 24 RAR files to unstuff, releasing 10 GB worth of sounds.

I've tried emailing tech support at sampletekk but unfortunately haven't gotten any installation instructions, only instructions for gigastudio install.

Anyone? I'd love to get rolling with these new sounds... the demos sounded pretty fantastic.

Kerry
    Go to www.versiontracker.com and download a free app called UnRar.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Hi Asher,

I can un-RAR the files with Stuffit Expander, but Sampletekk tech support said that you only need to unstuff the first two files, the other ones will unstuff automatically. Trying to unstuff them yields an error message -- unfortunately I haven't been able to get someone from sampletekk tech support to tell me the answer. So if anyone on here happens to have had experience with the downloadable Black Grands, let me know how the EXS24 version works!

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc
    Trying to unstuff them yields an error message
    That's really awkward. Please tell which files you tried to unrar and what the exact error message was.

Greetings
    Marc

"Black Grand Medium Ambient" has 11 .rar files; only the initial giga file unstuffs, and STDD-027-MULT24.part01.rar. If I try to open .part02.rar or any other files, I get this message:

An error occurred attempting to expand "XXXXXXX" Format error. Error #17540

Sampletekk tech support told me that that error message is completely normal, because only the first 2 files are expandable, and the other files will automatically unstuff. The problem: there's no installation program that unstuffs them. And unfortunately I haven't been able to get a response from sampletekk on how to do this; there's no documentation on the website, and no documentation with the downloads, except for "how to make it work for Gigastudio3."

So I'm here hoping that someone else has been through the installation before and might be able to shed some light on how to do the EXS24 install. Fingers crossed...

kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Kerry,

Normally, one just clicks on the first RAR file (part 01) in a series to begin the unRAR process. As it expands, it will automatically gather in all the data from parts 02, 03, and so on, leaving you with one expanded file (or directory of files) at the end.

Parts 02 and following never do anything on their own. They exist only to break the download into convenient chunks -- the unRAR process assembles them into what you need.

So just unRAR the STDD-027-MULT24.part01.rar; the result will (if all goes well) contain what you need to drag into your desired folders.

You have probably completed the expansion process, without realizing. Look more carefully through the results and see if you already have everything..

Larry

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...... so the other RAR files never actually unstuff onto the desktop, they just remain intact... I had no idea! My friend, I think you saved the day. Off to try it!

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

The clearest way to think of it is that the various parts are all one big RAR, split up solely for convenience.

Hope it worked. Let us know.

I'll also be interested in how you like the Black Grand when you get it fired up. The Hamburg D has always sounded to me as if it were made out of thick glass. I just can't grow to love all that crispy brittleness.

Larry

Go Back to forum