• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with M-Tron?

Share/Bookmark

Problem with M-Tron?

I just installed the G-Force M-Tron. Afterwards I discovered that, if I open a grid-editor in Cubasis and try to enter notes using the pencil tool, nothing happens. I can put note in using the paintbrush tool, but the pencil tool is now useless.

I don't know whether the problem is down to installing the M-Tron or not, since I haven't used Cubasis for a couple of days. It was definitely fine last time I did use it though. Does anyone else use the M-Tron, and have you experienced this problem?

Re: Problem with M-Tron?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I just installed the G-Force M-Tron. Afterwards I discovered that, if I open a grid-editor in Cubasis and try to enter notes using the pencil tool, nothing happens. I can put note in using the paintbrush tool, but the pencil tool is now useless.

I don't know whether the problem is down to installing the M-Tron or not, since I haven't used Cubasis for a couple of days. It was definitely fine last time I did use it though. Does anyone else use the M-Tron, and have you experienced this problem?
    Hey Pingu... I'm running M-Tron in Cubase SX3 without trouble... don't know how different SX3 is from Cubasis (wasn't that, like, the lite version of Cubase VST/32?).

I'm actually not sure, based upon what you wrote, if you are describing an M-Tron problem or a Cubasis problem.

----------------------------

If it's a Cubasis problem:

Are you saying that everything works fine with your paintbrush tool, and it's only the pencil tool itself that doesn't work?

Does the pencil tool work with everything other than M-Tron, or has it stopped working completely?

----------------------------

If it's an M-Tron problem:

Are you able to play the M-Tron in stand-alone mode?

Are you able to just load M-Tron as a VST Instrument (using the "F11" key in Cubase... I don't know what it is in Cubasis)?

If you have loaded M-Tron as a VST Instrument within Cubasis, can you play the M-Tron's own keyboard with your mouse, and hear those lovely old sounds?

Have you set M-Tron as the MIDI output of your MIDI track, and set the track volume up to 127?

When you say "grid editor"... does that have the Cubasis audition keyboard running up the left-hand edge of the screen? If so, can you play/hear M-Tron notes by playing that keyboard with your mouse?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Thanks alanb

It's a Cubasis problem - I think possibly I should have called it the piano roll editor. The pencil tool has just stopped working altogether. I can still play the M-Tron using the keyboard up the left of the editor, and the keyboard on the M-Tron itself, and if I enter notes with the paintbrush tool they still play.

It actually seems to be quite a common problem. The same happens on every machine at the school where I teach - there the problem is that the machines are on a network and some of the software that installs after Cubase, when the machines boot, seems to replace some system files, that Cubase needs, with older versions of the same files.

Until now I've never had the problem myself. Fortunately you've more or less addressed my main concern though. The fact that this problem seemed to develop after installing G-force stuff made me slightly reluctant to install on my studio machine (so far it's just on the family laptop, which I use as a testing ground for things, so that I don't have to do too many rollbacks or defrags on my machines), but if it appears to be fine with SX3 then I should be OK. So thanks for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    if it appears to be fine with SX3 then I should be OK.
    Yes... "appears" and "should" being the operative words, there...

I saw no problems developing in SX3 when I installed M-Tron, and I hope that all will work equally well for you. Since getting involved with sample-tech, I've learned just how idiosyncratic each computer is, and I've also learned to take nothing for granted.

Once you get everything working, though... ohhhhhh...

M-Tron has, in some ways, made me happier than any other VI thus far. I could listen to those sounds for hours at a clip...

Good luck!!
    — alanb

I really like the M-Tron but I have a problem with the add-on sounds. They just don't play add peg my CPU. The original sounds work fine. I've tried all the solutions that they've sent me with no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

JIm

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I really like the M-Tron but I have a problem with the add-on sounds. They just don't play add peg my CPU. The original sounds work fine. I've tried all the solutions that they've sent me with no luck. Anyone else have this problem?
    Add-on sounds?!?!?

I thought that M-Tron includes all of the three banks that used to be sold separately. Are you running an earlier version of M-Tron?

If they've already offered possible solutions, I guess it's safe to assume that you've already checked out this page:

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/mtronfaq.html

It says in the PC FAQ, among other things:

I've just installed the M-Tron but can't install the additional Tape Banks. This problem is to do with the registry entry after installing the M-Tron. It only happens on some systems. There are two ways to resolve the problem fairly quickly.
    1. Insert the M-Tron CD and reinstall the M-Tron, when asked for a subdirectory name put a "\" at the end of the directory name as this gets written to the registry. The additional Tape Banks should now install without a hitch.
    2. Download this regfixer.zip(60k) program. Install the M-Tron and then run the program. The Additional Tape Banks will install correctly.
    If you still need assistance email us here.
    I realize that that may be part of what they've already suggested to you, but it seemed worth mentioning...

Good luck!!
    — alanb

I purchased M-Tron when they still had the 3 separate packages. I've tried that with no luck. Downloaded all the latest updates and still have the same problem.

At least my favorite sounds work though.

Jim

Go Back to forum