• Register
  • Help

Topic: KH Emerald can't find samples

Share/Bookmark

KH Emerald can't find samples

I just relinked all the exs24 Instruments to their samples using exs Manager from Redmatica, and it seems there are many samples missing, which is strange as I've unpacked all the files from the DVD. Altogether , of the 220 or so MB of Instruments, around 3MB came up totally incomplete and around 14MB partially incomplete.

For instance, 16_bs_adg_f.exs
    is totally incomplete; otherwise, the other toally incomplete instruments are all from the percussion folder.

Partially incomplete Instruments include some from the Symphonic, Chamber & Solo Strings, and from the Symphonic Brass.

Looking at the exs Manager report for 16_bs_adg_f.exs, the sample SusFC1 is one of those missing. A SusFC1 sample is there in the Basses folder, but it has the prefix 6bs - could this be the problem? Do we need an update, please? Did anyone else have any similar problem with the exs version of Emerald?

Thanks

Nigel

PS Of course, the "empty" headers put in by Kirk- a good idea!- such as "09___LEGATO___.exs" are excluded from this question.

Re: KH Emerald can't find samples

Interesting, I just asked about this on this forum the other day, http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48925

I cannot vouch for the exs version of Emerald, as I am PC based using Sonar 5 PE, however, I can safely tell you that the Kontakt 2 version is SUPERB.

I have used it on countless projects for clientele and they have been overly satisfied with anything I've done for them.

I find it full featured, of phenomenal quality and very complete. I have EWQLSO and K2 VSL light and KHSO is as good if not better in almost every area.

Perhaps the conversion to Mac messed things up?

Mike

disappointed to hear of your problems, re-peat, could it really be that the exs version is much worse than the K2? Sure there are some duff patches on K2 and other rough edges but I don't remember hearing anything as bad as one or two of the examples posted. At the price, I don't think there is a library to rival it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    I just relinked all the exs24 Instruments to their samples using exs Manager from Redmatica, and it seems there are many samples missing, which is strange as I've unpacked all the files from the DVD. Altogether , of the 220 or so MB of Instruments, around 3MB came up totally incomplete and around 14MB partially incomplete.

For instance, 16_bs_adg_f.exs
    is totally incomplete; otherwise, the other toally incomplete instruments are all from the percussion folder.

Partially incomplete Instruments include some from the Symphonic, Chamber & Solo Strings, and from the Symphonic Brass.

Looking at the exs Manager report for 16_bs_adg_f.exs, the sample SusFC1 is one of those missing. A SusFC1 sample is there in the Basses folder, but it has the prefix 6bs - could this be the problem? Do we need an update, please? Did anyone else have any similar problem with the exs version of Emerald?

Thanks

Nigel

PS Of course, the "empty" headers put in by Kirk- a good idea!- such as "09___LEGATO___.exs" are excluded from this question.
    Not here. Try reinstalling or maybe you got a bad DVD.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re-peat, sorry your experience has been such a downer. I had no problems unzipping, either. But before I can really judge the library I need it to work as advertised.

There are no exs updates on the Emerald web page. It would be a useful check if Kirk could list what we should expect to have (Folders, sizes) after unpacking.

Hope Kirk will respond soon.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by re-peat
    Jay,

You mean you haven't come across any incomplete instrument? Then I think Kirk must have sent you a special Asherized version of Emerald EXS, cause the DVD's that I got - despite being badly scratched - reported no error whatsoever when transferring the ZIP-files onto my HD and all of those files expanded nicely. In other words: ALL the data that's on the DVD's ended up successfully on my HD's. So, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with those DVD's. I'm convinced it's a case of sloppy programming.

Talking about sloppy programming: as you may or may not know, I am quite at home with the EXS and a few hours with Emerald EXS quickly reveals that Mr. Hunter most definitely isn't. Not only does he give terribly bad advice as to where the samples need to be located - the worst place for EXS samples is the Sampler Instruments directory -, but the library contains waaaaay too many programs which a more experienced and EXS-savy programmer wouldn't have cluttered the instrument menu with.

But my main gripe remains the audio quality of the samples. I realise I'm pretty much on my own here, as there seem to be many people who are tremendously satisfied with the way this library sounds - and I'm truly happy for them - but my general impression of the Emerald is that of a badly recorded, synthy and artificial sounding, incoherent collection of samples, spoiled even further by unacceptable timbral inconsistencies and pan-shifts (within the same instrument) and an excessive amount of unwelcome sounds & noises. And none of the Emerald demos which I've heard so far, nor any of the work I've tried doing with it myself, has been able to change my mind. In short: Emerald EXS is a purchase I strongly regret.

_
    Sorry Re-peat, my answer should have been more thourough.

There are samples included there that are not tied to an instrument for possible future updates and vice-versa but I have yet to load an instrument where I got a missing samples report. I have not however loaded everyone, only briefly Kirk's templates.

Yes Kirk is new to EXS24 so some of the programming may be a little iffy and yes his initial advice about where to put the samples was misleading and has since been corrected.

This btw is not exclusive to Kirk. I can mention a couple of other developers who make great sounding products for the EXS24 that have some errors also.

Obviously the quality of the samples is a subjective issue and people's tastes are all over the map. I like the library's sound. I find it very playable.

All I can say is that the demos accurately represent how Emerald sounds so if you went ahead and bought it even though you didn't like the demos, well that simply was a poor decision on your part.

I pushed Kirk to do this because I felt that the one thing lacking in the Logic Pro package for my students was a decent orchestral library and and therfore one was needed at an affordable price and I was impressed with the Emerald demos. What Kirk is selling for the EXS24 for $325 is unmatched and warts and all IMHO a tremendous bargain.

I am sorry you are unhappy but I stand by my recommendation.

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    What Kirk is selling for the EXS24 for $325 is unmatched and warts and all IMHO a tremendous bargain.
    Agree absolutely. But any glitches in the programming can + should be sorted out ASAP.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Agree absolutely. But any glitches in the programming can + should be sorted out ASAP.

Nigel
    if possible fine but Re-peat's 3 main gripes are:

1.Quality of the samples. He thinks they are bad but you and I disagree so scratch that one.

2. Samples with no program which I explainded are there for the future. So scratch that out.

3. Bad advice about where the samples go which has been fixed on his website. Check.

4. More instruments than necessary cluttering up the menus.

So that leaves only #4 unaddressed.

As for your concerns I just ran EXS Manager Pro and it only came up with 4 incomplete instruments. Not bad for a library of this size and depth.

The barn is not burning on this IMHO.

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum