• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: In the Dead of Night

Share/Bookmark

In the Dead of Night

Here it is the very Witching Hour of night... 3AM, and on the third stroke, the pendulum stops and everything once familiar becomes strange and haunting.

I hope you can survive the 6 minutes and 66 seconds of terror!!!

www.houseofblackbirds.com/mp3/DeadOfNight.mp3

Re: In the Dead of Night

Joe, this is excellent!

Superb color writing. In fact, superb writing, period.
    This one held me spellbound from start to finish.

No two ways about it, from me, this one gets a resounding...

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David! There's nothing quite as satisfying as planing tri-tones in an octatonic key. I watched a lot of B-movies this last month, so the brass clusters were quite inspired. This was so much fun to write, just imagining every sinister and suspenseful scenario I could: mysterious figures stalking you down a hallway and you turn a corner and the cat suddenly jumps out, to the undead breaking through the ground, spiders crawling out from the cracks, and bats descending from . And what good is a terrifying situation without a flashback that starts off nice and suddenly contorts and twists into some awful nightmarish revelation? And just when it can't get any worse, the psycho killer that you thought was dead grabs a knife and starts stumbling toward the girl who is breathing a sigh of relief that she survived the night. Of course, it doesn't end well for our sorority girl; it wouldn't be right of me if it did. Halloween rules!!!

Hi Joe,

I agree with David. The textures you've put together in this are fantastic. Your B-movie experiences shine through! (in a very positive manner). Nice work with the GPO brass. They're often a little pesky in getting just the right tone, but you've done it well.

Do I hear the contrabassoon?

Very effective use of dynamics and percussive sound. It's really foreboding and unpredictable just as horror music should be.

Joe,

This is really great stuff. B-Movie all the way and loving it. Can't wait until it comes out in a theater near me

Gary

www.garybricault.com

.... and ever and ever again that old Gregorian Dies Irae.......
    I can't wait to go to the cinema again....... Nice work indeed.

Raymond

excellent excellent excellent.

the string glissandi were surprisingly convincing!

great atmos and textures. filmscoring as it lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Do I hear the contrabassoon?

Very effective use of dynamics and percussive sound. It's really foreboding and unpredictable just as horror music should be.
    Thanks Reegs for all your comments. You hear actually both contrabassoons. I wanted the maximum effect of dragging a corpse.

Half of the percussion is GPO and half is from EW Silver. I used the snares from both libraries to make a bigger sound. I wanted a really good metallic sound, but the anvil was the only hard metal sound I had. I need to get ahold of some dragging chains sounds or something...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    This is really great stuff. B-Movie all the way and loving it. Can't wait until it comes out in a theater near me
    The day I have music in a theatre believe me, everyone will know! I love cheesy horror flicks, and hope to score one someday. I'll have to invest in a theramin, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    .... and ever and ever again that old Gregorian Dies Irae.......I can't wait to go to the cinema again....... Nice work indeed.
    Glad you noticed, Raymond62. I just wanted to have a little hint of the theme in there. Give a little more of a foreboding feeling to that moment. Just before the "jump" moment. This was SO much fun to write!

Thank you both for listening, and for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    the string glissandi were surprisingly convincing!

great atmos and textures. filmscoring as it lives.....
    Thanks, GigaLove. It felt like I used almost EVERY solo string patch in GPO. Each patch had its own MIDI track and each slide was a different speed. So there was a lot of detail that went into the programming. There were lots of slides and tremolos and trills. It was really exciting realizing this, since there wasn't a lot that I could do in Finale programming-wise. I had to wait until I ported the project over to DP to start really hearing what I hoped it would sound like. I was thrilled when it started to come together like I had hoped. Thanks for listening!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast