• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to sustain via midi CC controller?

Share/Bookmark

Question How to sustain via midi CC controller?

Hi,
    I don't have a foot pedal & am using a (midi keyboard) controller set to CC64 to try to control sustain in GPO. Hwr, the problem is that instruments are either fully sustained, or not sustained at all - depending on whether the controller is to the left or right of centre position. Is there any way to have a smooth sustain operation? Or is it just on or off? (I really don't want to have to make envelopes for EVERY note). Thanks

Re: How to sustain via midi CC controller?

When you say "sustain" are you referring to instruments like piano that have a standard sustain function? Instruments like piano use pedal mode 1 in the Options menu of the player and, when the pedal is depressed (cc64, value 127,) the note(s) being played are sustained. If, on the other hand, you mean instruments like woodwinds, brass, or strings then there is no "sustain" function, as such - at least not if you have the pedal mode set correctly to the second choice, "midi cc." In that case, the pedal acts as a switch to activate the legato mode and does not sustain the note the way normal sustain pedal does. If you find that notes sustain for these instruments then you have the pedal mode set incorrectly. Both modes are on-off.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    When you say "sustain" are you referring to instruments like piano that have a standard sustain function? Instruments like piano use pedal mode 1 in the Options menu of the player and, when the pedal is depressed (cc64, value 127,) the note(s) being played are sustained. If, on the other hand, you mean instruments like woodwinds, brass, or strings then there is no "sustain" function, as such - at least not if you have the pedal mode set correctly to the second choice, "midi cc." In that case, the pedal acts as a switch to activate the legato mode and does not sustain the note the way normal sustain pedal does. If you find that notes sustain for these instruments then you have the pedal mode set incorrectly. Both modes are on-off.

Tom
    I'm referring to all types of instruments, since GPO will be played by a keyboard by most people. I've changed the sustain settings/pedal mode & still have a problem of notes abruptly turning to silence:-

Can you please tell me how to get a slow volume fade out with the GPO instruments? (At the moment as soon as I release a midi key the volume abruptly turns to silence, ideally I want to be able to vary the time after I release the key for the volume to fade out). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moh
    At the moment as soon as I release a midi key the volume abruptly turns to silence, ideally I want to be able to vary the time after I release the key for the volume to fade out
    You're referring to "release" when you refer to the note continuing and fading after releasing the key. You have some small amount of control over this with the "Length" knob, which controls the length of the release.

I suspect the effect you're after is the gradual fade that is found in some string midi patches. Standard midi patches often included a "Slow Strings" patch that had a long release. With GPO, this effect is achieved by holding the note(s) and gradually moving the mod wheel (CC#1) to zero...or by using a large amount of reverb.

GPO is designed to simulate the behavior of the instruments. Strings, winds, etc. do not have the behavior you describe: a long release. When you stop bowing the string or blowing the horn, the sound stops fairly quickly.
    Bill

Thanks for your reply Bill,

I did notice that when I had G'Ambience plugged in that this simulates the effect I want, but it alters the sound of the instruments drastically. Also, I've already adjusted string length to maximum & like you say it is very short lived effect. Looks like the best solution means that I have to draw envelopes for the mod wheel in my host (I'm not good enough to do it live, also I like using both hands when playing).

Btw, do other GPO users just not need typical release settings when composing, or is everything played stacatto? If so, do you manually use the mod wheel to simulate release?/Draw envelopes in your host?/Do something else to get this release effect?

I'm just curious because when I play my other instruments (ie not gpo), I always turn on a small amount of release in the envelope section

GPO is modeled after real instruments. Real instruments normally stop playing immediately when you stop playing. When a clarinetist starts a note they will start blowing air and tongue the note. They stop the air flow to finish the note. It immediately stops playing. This is the same for all woodwind, brass and most bowed string instruments.

To play these instruments properly in GPO you would play the note and control the air flow with CC1 (modulation). If you want the note to fade out at the end, then you would lower CC1 just as a real player would slow down the air flow to make the note quieter.

I prefer short releases so the notes don't get muddy especially in quick and staccato passages.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim,

After Bill's reply, I nosed about these here forums for more information & demos on how people play various instruments - It was a real education! A lot of talented people here, who KNOW how to play all the various instruments. I think it's going to take me some time before I reach that kind of level of mastery! Anyways, thanks again for your reply, it is most appreciated

Your welcome!

When I first started working with GPO I had been working other sample libraries for quite some time. GPO was a paradigm shift and I had to rethink many ways of working. Now I wish other libraries were programmed like GPO!

Jim

Go Back to forum