• Register
  • Help

Topic: O, HOLY NIGHT (for our Christmas CD)

Share/Bookmark

O, HOLY NIGHT (for our Christmas CD)

Hi everyone,

This is my offering for the annual Garritan Christmas CD, done just in time and a bit over our 4-minute limit by just a few seconds (forgive me, Dan!).

GPO: lush and lush mutes violas and violins, one trumpet, and snare drum.

JABB: acoustic guitar, Steinway piano,trumpets, trombones, flute, drumset, various percussion... and a phased, flanged and otherwise completely nuked accordian for the subtle (hopefully) ambient pads that pop up here and there.

Here is my version of O, Holy Night: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/OHolyNight.mp3

Thanks for listening.

Danny

Red face Re: O, HOLY NIGHT (for our Christmas CD)

Hehehe... DDW, you like to take changes?

I must first say that O, holy night is a carol which owns a place deep in my heart and it's one of the carol which I feel that is most holy to me.

Therefor I don't like how this arrangement takes it too kind of terratory which I would associate with game music.

But to be fair, I listened to it again and tried to put the fact that this song is holy to me. And the result were that I found that it were nicely done arrangement, and the "salsa" section at least put some smile on my face hehe..

But for me that arrangement is too "secular" for my taste. Sorry!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: O, HOLY NIGHT (for our Christmas CD)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hehehe... DDW, you like to take changes?

I must first say that O, holy night is a carol which owns a place deep in my heart and it's one of the carol which I feel that is most holy to me.

Therefor I don't like how this arrangement takes it too kind of terratory which I would associate with game music.

But to be fair, I listened to it again and tried to put the fact that this song is holy to me. And the result were that I found that it were nicely done arrangement, and the "salsa" section at least put some smile on my face hehe..

But for me that arrangement is too "secular" for my taste. Sorry!
    Hey Falc,
    No need at all to apologize for your criticism. I realize that there are many who prefer a more traditional, "non-secularized" version of holiday music. I certainly respect that and appreciate your view and comments.

This is one of my own favorite Christmas songs, and I did attempt to do it as much justice musically in my own way as possible.

Thanks again for your input!

Danny

Wow, some great arranging in this, Danny!

I'll grant that this is a bit "secular"... but then, who knows
    what the tastes of the Almighty are, eh? Besides, He'd sure
    get a smile out of the chops in this, like I did.

Super job on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: O, HOLY NIGHT (for our Christmas CD)

yes, it's quite...secular?...different?...maybe not so much different from existing several contaminations between modern and pop music and carols: I want consider it more a tribute of modern artists to traditional melodies, than a "dissacration" or "secularization".

Anyway, even if it's very far from my taste and style, (yes I'm more on the mood of my friend Falcon) I like the arrangement from a musical point of view, it's quite well done. It will add variety and spices in the wonderful set of different realizations of the new CD!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Wow, some great arranging in this, Danny!

I'll grant that this is a bit "secular"... but then, who knows
    what the tastes of the Almighty are, eh? Besides, He'd sure
    get a smile out of the chops in this, like I did.

Super job on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks, David. I really had no clue that this arrangement would give rise to even the slightest hint of controversy... but then, I truly believe that individual perception embodies the true spirit of all the arts. I try to divorce myself from my ego as much as possible when reading comments that may be a bit on the negative side (hard to do!).

Anyway, I tremendously appreciate your comments, as always . (I'm hoping the Almighty just might have a little bit of a "jazzer" in him/her )

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    yes, it's quite...secular?...different?...maybe not so much different from existing several contaminations between modern and pop music and carols: I want consider it more a tribute of modern artists to traditional melodies, than a "dissacration" or "secularization".

Anyway, even if it's very far from my taste and style, (yes I'm more on the mood of my friend Falcon) I like the arrangement from a musical point of view, it's quite well done. It will add variety and spices in the wonderful set of different realizations of the new CD!
    Hi Fabio,

Thanks very much for listening and for your much-appreciated comments.

DPDan is very graciously and patiently working with me on getting some of the mixing/engineering kinks worked out, and hopefully it will find its way onto the Garritan Christmas CD.

Thanks again!

Danny

Go Back to forum