• Register
  • Help

Topic: idea for future soundkit?

Share/Bookmark

idea for future soundkit?

In the spirit of Halloween...
    How about an avant-garde/experimental techniques soundkit? This would contain samples such as overblown flutes, string glissandi, prepared piano, spooky effects such as blowing air through the horns (no sound), bowed metal/glass- basically eerie sounds that can be accomplished acoustically....

Tell me what you all think!

Re: idea for future soundkit?

We're a little closer to this than you might imagine. A co-worker of mine took an old piano out to his driveway and recorded all kinds of sounds, including utterly destroying it. He used high quality recording gear, and it sounds amazing, and we (the sound team) are looking to encourage its inclusion as an easter egg in a future program update.

I think it would be cool as long as these techniques would be in keeping with NOTION's sample ideology- meaning there would be graphics that would cue the glissandi or whatever. I like using the horn fluttertongue articulation (from the Brass Soundkit) for clusters and crescendos. It's a neat effect.

My hope is that we can do a kit for film scoring that would incude these kinds of ambient sounds, like Michael Giacchino or Thomas Newman use; rubber ball on gong, bowed xylophone, etc.

That's funny. I'm just listening to LOST Season 2 at the moment. Interesting although I think getting some more performance techniques from Elliot Goldenthal's repetoire would be even cooler!

I hope the upcoming Solo Strings Kit has some alternative playing techniques for those of us who like to do our version of George Crumb's Black Angels.

Yeah, I wanted to do the LOST sound kit, with the falling trombones and Michael screaming "Waaaaaaaaalt!" every fourth bar.

I'm assuming that any kind of modernist technique samples would be triggering by instructions or graphics right Jason? I know that downward glide on the 'bones in LOST is a portamento down effect. It's okay but I think it's been done to death on the show.

Personally, I can't wait for things like sul ponticello for the strings- especially when combined with tremolo. That nice metallic sound is really eerie. Upward glissandi on the horns is also a pretty cool technique.

A film scoring Kit would be a great addition to the library. It's good to see that NOTION developers aren't simply resting on the laurels of the existing sounds and are consistently coming out with more sounds/articulations.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I'm assuming that any kind of modernist technique samples would be triggering by instructions or graphics right Jason? I know that downward glide on the 'bones in LOST is a portamento down effect. It's okay but I think it's been done to death on the show.

Personally, I can't wait for things like sul ponticello for the strings- especially when combined with tremolo. That nice metallic sound is really eerie. Upward glissandi on the horns is also a pretty cool technique.

A film scoring Kit would be a great addition to the library. It's good to see that NOTION developers aren't simply resting on the laurels of the existing sounds and are consistently coming out with more sounds/articulations.
    Yeah, we'll probably look at getting an actual film composer to assist with it, someone with some credibility that can show us exactly how those things would be notated. My understanding is that we're trying to stick with a notation model, as well, in the hopes that our program can educate composers on the use of those sounds and make them more marketable in that arena.

hey thanks Jason! As long as everything is still notation based, that's all that's important to me- one reason why I got away from sample libraries was because there were all these cool effects but transcibing them for live ensembles would be a chore. Glad to have NOTION!

Interesting ideas all. The possibilities really are almost endless. On my wish list:

* solo strings

* string 2 kit--including ponticello and other 20th C string techniques

* exotica--especially more woodwinds. I would like to have a Bass Oboe and/or a Heckelphone. I noticed a Contrabass Saxophone in the sax kit(haven't got that kit yet)--what about a Contrabass Clarinet--it's used a lot in film scores and in band music? An alto and bass flute..and so on.

* Brass 2 kit--with Wagner Tubas, glissandi for trombones. More mutes for the brasses.

Go Back to forum