• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hardware or Software sampling?

Share/Bookmark

Hardware or Software sampling?

Hello,

I am looking into establishing a sampling system for my music composition. Debating whether to go with an Akai S6000 or stick with a software sampler.

I will be using a sampler for triggering all sorts of sounds for an ambient world music style. I don't need hard disk streaming for using super large orchestral libraries. Many of the samples will be self created and manipulated in a variety of creative ways.

So really the question is this: Has software sampling been reliable enough to use without too many hang-ups or should I look into an Akai S6000 that has a proven reliable OS?

I just see so many issues with every upgrade in the software world that it appears that tools such as Kontakt and Gigastudio are more of a headache than a reliable tool.
    Upgrade your sequencer, then your sampler version X has problems. Upgrade sampler x and then it doesn't run on your current sequencer version x.

Here is my DAW computer system:
    Cubase SX 3
    Asus A8V Deluxe with AMD X2 dual core chip
    2GB Corsair RAM
    RME Digiface Hammerfall sound card

Thanks and look forward to your interesting experiences!

Re: Hardware or Software sampling?

The AKAI has had it's day, I'm afraid. I have three S5000 and am about to throw them onto eBay, as I don't use them. I think that these days you would be better off with a software sampler unless you are only ever going to use sounds that were created a few years ago.

D

Daryl,

Which software sampler do you currently use?

Are the Akais just slow and tedious to run or is a choice in sound quality to go with software over hardware?

Would it be a more stable option to run say Kontakt on a standalone machine or just use it as a VSTi within Cubase?

Thanks for you input!

software, without a doubt. my hardware sampler doesn't even get turned on...
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad73
    Daryl,

Which software sampler do you currently use?

Are the Akais just slow and tedious to run or is a choice in sound quality to go with software over hardware?

Would it be a more stable option to run say Kontakt on a standalone machine or just use it as a VSTi within Cubase?

Thanks for you input!
    I used to run GigaStudio and for me it was 100% stable and worked very well. However, as most of my orchestral samples are now the VSL VI, I tend to use K2 for anything other than orchestral samples. I still use one of my AKAIs for things like Distorted Reality, but everything else either has its own player or goes into K2 (which I hate and also find it unstable).

The AKAIs are brilliant for what they do. Mine used to stay on for months at a time without crashing or causing any kind of problems. However, sampling has moved on, and the memory limitations of the AKAI just wouldn't cut it with modern sample libraries.

K2 is stable on some systems, both as a standalone and as a VST plug-in. I'm afraid that you'll just have to chance it and see.

D

Daryl,

How long does it take to load up a full 256 MB of samples on the Akai from an internal SCSI hardrive?

The 256 MB sample limit doesn't really bother me. I don't intend to do any symphonic work with sampling. I do intend to create sounds much like Distorted Reality and use various percussion and drum samples to create sort of an ambient tribal musical feel.

Are you running the Akai samplers using the ADAT card?

Wondering how the Akai sounds in comparison to the sound engine of Kontakt.

Thanks again! Great info.

Chad

I have no issues with K2, With most hardware samplers, I find they are not as easy as the software. You can use your distorted reailty dics just like you would in the akai, and I wouldn't limiit your use with your sampler just cause you don't do orchestral, you may down the road, and there are some neat things about K2. Plus it comes with a soundset, that is ok.
    www.energiestudios.com

Daryl,

How long does it take to load up a full 256 MB of samples on the Akai from an internal SCSI hardrive?
    I really can't remember as it's been so long since I've done this. It isn't anywhere near as long as my current template. However, that is round about 7GB.....!
    The 256 MB sample limit doesn't really bother me. I don't intend to do any symphonic work with sampling. I do intend to create sounds much like Distorted Reality and use various percussion and drum samples to create sort of an ambient tribal musical feel.
    Although the editing is quite easy on the AKAI, I have a feeling that there are more options in K2.
    Are you running the Akai samplers using the ADAT card?
    No.
    Wondering how the Akai sounds in comparison to the sound engine of Kontakt.
    I can't say; it sounded good to me, even though I used the analogue outs and not digital.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    I have no issues with K2, With most hardware samplers, I find they are not as easy as the software. You can use your distorted reailty dics just like you would in the akai, and I wouldn't limiit your use with your sampler just cause you don't do orchestral, you may down the road, and there are some neat things about K2. Plus it comes with a soundset, that is ok.
    The reason that I keep one AKAI plugged in is for security. As long as I do this then my computers won't crash...!

D

Go Back to forum