• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Apple Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

Apple Logic Pro

I am a current Windows/SONAR 5 user. I have been considering changing to the Mac platform (at least for my DAW work.) Does anybody out there use Logic Pro in their work? Since the Cakewalk people want their yearly $179 to upgrade to SONAR 6, now would be the time to take the fork in the road if I were going to do so.

Thanks!

Keith Walls

P.S. I don't want this to devolve into a PC vs. Mac discussion. That ship has sailed already.

Re: Apple Logic Pro

I think a lot of the Mac users here are Finale-philes, but I can say I have heard no complaints about Logic. My professor and other Mac composers at my school tend to be Digital Performer nuts. I am not sureifthey make DP for OS X yet, but you might check into it.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I am not sure if they make DP for OSX yet, but you might check into it.
    MOTU (Mark Of The Unicorn) maker of Digital Performer is indeed running on OSX and has been for a long time. To run the latest version you do need Tiger OS.

The most recent version of Digital Performer is 5.1 and is Universal Binary, which means it will run properly on both the older PowerMac PC's like G4's and G5's as well as the newer Intel Mac computers. To the best of my knowledge, all of their software and hardware is also Universal Binary.

I run DP and love it!
    can you tell?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    MOTU (Mark Of The Unicorn) maker of Digital Performer is indeed running on OSX and has been for a long time. To run the latest version you do need Tiger OS.

The most recent version of Digital Performer is 5.1 and is Universal Binary, which means it will run properly on both the older PowerMac PC's like G4's and G5's as well as the newer Intel Mac computers. To the best of my knowledge, all of their software and hardware is also Universal Binary.

I run DP and love it!
    can you tell?
    Dan
    Thanks, Dan! The price seems right, too.
    Keith W.

I run DP and love it!
    can you tell?
    Dan
    I figured it was or my composition professor would be crying!

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I use Logic and DP and while I love Logic, I find that DP is so much easier to get around on. It just makes sense, especially with routing, plug-ins and busses.

My 2-cents

Peace

rikp

I've used both for years. I finally quit upgrading my DP after version 3. I've used Logic since it was version 2.5. I'm not crazy about the way Logic handles audio but from a sequencing standpoint it is the bomb. I never have gotten use to DP for sequencing. If you're doing a lot of live tracking you'll settle into DP better. If you're doing mostly MIDI (with audio instruments of course) you'll work on Logic for a while and hate it. Then one day you'll get fed up and go back to your old work space saying Logic is so illogic. Then it will hit you and you'll come running back to Logic and never look back (at least that's what happened to me and just about every one else I know who runs logic).

I'm sure that didn't help much but it's a pretty accurate asessment from my point of view

J-

This is precisely what happened to me - I went away from Logic for a while after initially diving into every resource I could find on it, studying "how to" books and videos, etc., etc...At one point I had finally concluded that Logic should actually be called "Illogic" because it seemed so overstuffed and confusing (particularly the much-discussed and notorious "Environment" window). But lately I came back to the program and (especially with an improved Apple interface after they bought out Emagic), find it surprisingly easy to use - you can do all the (particularly midi/virtual instrument-oriented) things you will likely need to do; but additionally under the surface if you want/need it there's an entirely different and deeper level of sophistication if you want to really get your hands dirty. It's also eminently customizable (which was one of the reasons, ironically, I was originally intimidated by it); but for some reason am beginning to find this functionality increasingly appealing.

I should also point out how much faster it runs Virtual instruments in the Mac environment than (for example) Pro Tools 7, which chokes ridiculously easily and forces me often to bounce tracks to audio before continuing (a very time consuming process in Protools since there's no "track freeze" as there is in Logic - though I've incidentally not yet ever needed to use it in Logic as it runs things so efficiently..)..
    - robjohn

I run DP and love it!
    can you tell?
    Dan
    Those guys need to repair their site. It is never easy to find the price. I can't help but to think they are losing sales due to you can't easily find pricing. They should assume that some people may be interested who are not upgrading from something else and have a button to click that just gives all the prices instead of taking you somewhere where there is another button to click but still no prices, it's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW
    I am a current Windows/SONAR 5 user. I have been considering changing to the Mac platform (at least for my DAW work.) Does anybody out there use Logic Pro in their work? Since the Cakewalk people want their yearly $179 to upgrade to SONAR 6, now would be the time to take the fork in the road if I were going to do so.
    Another vote for DP here, but the old advice is still good: figure out what software you want to use, then go with the platform it runs on......

Go Back to forum