• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some more gospel GOS strings!

Share/Bookmark

Some more gospel GOS strings!

Hey, since I posted this in the main sampling section I figured why not put it here too since I haven't had anything new to post in ages. This is a cover version of "I Will Go On" by the Gaithers done by a guy doing an album at the studio right now. All strings are GOS- I'm particularly proud of the cheesy chromatic runs The mix isn't quite dialed in yet but I'm working on it...

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...o_On_Mix_3.mp3

EDIT- the link is now replaced with a new mix. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!! I think it's getting better...

Re: Some more gospel GOS strings!

Very nice! I enjoyed the music very much. My wife is singing along in harmony
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Fred,

Excellent. Having done my fair share of Gospel Strings I can say that you have nailed it well.

The only times the Samples are "blowing their cover" is on the Highest notes (like on the Chorus and turnaround). I think it is the attack combined with the brightness.

jmp

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    Fred,

Excellent. Having done my fair share of Gospel Strings I can say that you have nailed it well.

The only times the Samples are "blowing their cover" is on the Highest notes (like on the Chorus and turnaround). I think it is the attack combined with the brightness.

jmp
    Thanks, that really means a lot coming from you!! Yeah, I agree on the high notes... The plan was always to add some real strings to it and since that isn't going to happen AFAIK I may try and tweak them. the problem is that do to a HD crash and a bad backup I don't have the sequence for this anymore but maybe some layering could fix it.

I am completely blown away by that string arrangement... you have nailed it!

What is your secret????
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    I am completely blown away by that string arrangement... you have nailed it!

What is your secret????
    Well, the arrangement itself is based pretty closely on the original version of the song. As for the sound, that's Gary's doing!! I may have blended a little of the VSL strings from GS3 in with it- I do that sometimes- but I think on this one I decided GOS sounded better without them. Other than that, it's basically all the standard long bow with EXP patches, played one section at a time. Glad you liked it!

FredProgGH,

Very beautiful job you did on this. You certainly brought out the best in the strings with your arrangement and mix. Being able to write for strings is an art and you certainly have the gift.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Loved the arrangement. Strings are great. The lead vocal sounds a bit "gutless" at times but that could be just the singer. There are several places in a song like this that should sound like he just "throws it all out there" with abandon, but I didn't quite get that. It may happen with the final mix. I just felt like I wanted to be taken a level higher before the end. Just my 2 cents!

Since this is a "COVER" are there any special things you needed to do concerning copyright? I'm new to this and I have several songs that I want to do much the same. I know I have to pay for the use of the song, but what about the arrangement? And what if the arrangement in the sheet music is what I want to use. Does that make a difference? Thanks for any input.

Again, great job! Would like to hear more of this style.
    Earl Green

Excellent Job with the Strings, Fred.

I dont go a bundle on the song, not my favourite genre, I am afraid.

But, you did a superb job, on the string arrangement.

Very simpatico.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Excellent Job with the Strings, Fred.

I dont go a bundle on the song, not my favourite genre, I am afraid.

But, you did a superb job, on the string arrangement.

Very simpatico.

regards Joe
    Nor mine, but it pays the bills! BTW again the arrangement is probably 85% copied from the original song, which of course was still difficult to do. But thanks!! I have a better mix now (I hope)-- I'll post it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast