• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Attention NOTION Contest Participants

Share/Bookmark

Attention NOTION Contest Participants

We've had to update our rules to clarify some issues. Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble for you guys playing along at home.

First, the ten minute rule is still in effect. You may submit as many pieces as you'd like, but they may not total more than ten minutes. It is, however, advisable that you submit one work, such as a multi-movement suite, whereas numerous unrelated submissions, while permitted, will likely frustrate the judges.

And so, all pieces will be judged individually, meaning that if you have a multi-movement work, you will want to ensure that all of the movement are in the same Notion file, seperated by measured rests, etc., to set the timing as you would like it. I mentioned to someone else on this board that seperate files would suffice for different movements, but that has since been changed. You should be able to simply copy and paste into a master file. Save your work seperately befire doing that just in case of a problem. Thanks, and feel free to ask me any questions.

Re: Attention NOTION Contest Participants

Hi!

When does the contest end? I couldn´t find this info.
    Thanks!

"...numerous unrelated submissions, while permitted, will likely frustrate the judges."

I've entered a short 4 movement-one file composition in it's own style.
    submitting a different styled second entry is not recommended for frustration factor?

(Both together total less than 10 min.)

#1 = less traditional harder to read (entered)
    #2 = More traditional, easy to read (Not entered in contemplation of the above statement)

Opinions?

PS to the above End of this month. The complete rules are one layer (Click) into the contest.

Hmm ... as I know myself I will send my contribution at 30th of November, 23:59:59 ... if any ...

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hey guys,

"Frustrate" was not the approriate word. The judges have no idea whose submissions they're listening to, so if they are all submitted seperately, the judges won't know which submissions were meant to go with which. This is why we're recommending that they be submitted as one file, so you can have control over how your movements fit together. I apologize for leading you to believe that the judges were going to have any emotional reaction to your works other than the awe invoked by the beauty of your compositions.

"...numerous unrelated submissions, while permitted, will likely frustrate the judges."

I've entered a short 4 movement-one file composition in it's own style.
    submitting a different styled second entry is not recommended for frustration factor?

(Both together total less than 10 min.)
    Your second entry should be a seperate file. That way, each will be judged on its own merits, as the judges will have no idea that you wrote both of them.

For clarification:

Multi-movement entries should be on the same .ntn or .ntd file, but entries that are not related to another can be submitted as seperate files. All submissions combined may not total more than ten minutes in length.

I have several pieces that I likely would submit as contest pieces were it not for Notion glitches.

The biggest issue for me, seems to be a result of tuplet notation issues, of which I spoke earlier. In a nutshell, when I enter tuplets (often times multiple tuplets in a polyrhymic passage) Notion notates them in red, but playback is correct--even if Notion tells me they are outside of the time signature when they are in fact-not).

This is not so bad really, except for the lack of any rests after the tuplets. But when I audit the bar lines, Notion attempts to correct these ' errors ' (which are not errors) by adding incorrect rests to the portions of the bar following tuplet entry. The result of this is not good, as Notion literally then stops and starts as it reads through rest errors created by the software itself.

Question: Can I a submit a piece that does not have audited bar lines? Notion plays it correctly--however, it would be a nightmare for performance. Another option could be to choose ' fill in empty measures with rests ' instead of ' fill in any incomplete measure with rests '. The first option fills in rests in empty bars, but leaves out rests in bars that have notation. The second option creates an untenable situation. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    I have several pieces that I likely would submit as contest pieces were it not for Notion glitches.
    I'm in a similar position. Mind you, it took so long to get hold of the Demo I had almost given up before I started.

Quote Originally Posted by John, too
    when I enter tuplets . . . Notion notates them in red, . . .
    This only happens for me if I make a mistake or attempt to edit tuplets or attempt to enter tuplets in any other than their eventual order within the bar. My bars fill up with red spurious extra tuplets, mainly rests, which I have to erase. If this happens I find I have to erase the whole bar and input again. The inability to edit tuplets is not only infuriating, but also a real time-waster, since I have them in almost every bar.

This is why I only compose using whole notes and maybe the occasional 16th notes...

Seriously though, I have used a couple of six-tuplets with no issues. The only thing I notice is that the program likes to advance the next note into the following bar when the bar in question hasn't been filled up yet (when using tuplets). To avoid this, I use the mouse rather than the space bar to plot notes in sequence. Yeah, it can be frustrating but the more I work with the program, the more I find work-around methods until newer versions rectify these matters.

Fun with tuplets! I have tried a lot of work arounds and am still having difficulties with tuplets. I have contacted Notion support--and received it. I still can't make those tuplets work consistently.

One thing I learned: make sure you finish all the notes required for a tuplet entry before moving on to another note entry. If one doesn't--gobblety-gook appears.

I like the idea of writing in whole notes!

If I were a judge, whole notes would win every time.

<---minimalist

Go Back to forum