• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little Help from Prof Belkin or Dwyer

Share/Bookmark

A little Help from Prof Belkin or Dwyer

“In Lesson 13 the example 1.

Why is doubling to be avoided?

It says that as long as it is used throughout continuously in the same way during a given passage it can be doubled.

I must miss something very basic here.”

I have had no answer yet. May I get some help from Professors Belkin or Terry Dwyer or any generous expert ?

Crazykeys

Re: A little Help from Prof Belkin or Dwyer

Hello,

I am glad that someone brought this question out. I also had my doubts about it, but it seamed that I was the only one, so I stayed quiet. Crazykeys, thank you for asking.

Professors, will you help us please?

Greetings,

Aleksandar

The whole issue of doubling is complex.

In general, UNISON doubling is way overused by beginners, because they simply have no idea what to do with all those instruments. The result, after a while, is just a general blandness and greyness of effect.

There certainly *are* cases where unison doubling is appropriate, but to use it well, it should have a definite musical intention, and not be a "default" solution, when you don't know what else to do.

Doubling at the octave is entirely another matter; it is VERY common, and can be used for many reasons, whether to add loudness, to modify color, to vary register, etc..

Is that clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazykeys
    “In Lesson 13 the example 1.

Why is doubling to be avoided?

It says that as long as it is used throughout continuously in the same way during a given passage it can be doubled.

I must miss something very basic here.”

I have had no answer yet. May I get some help from Professors Belkin or Terry Dwyer or any generous expert ?

Crazykeys
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Much thanks professor Belkin. It is clear now.

Aleksandar

Hello Professor Belkin,

Thank you very much for your help and sharing so generously your expertise with all of us, including your great books

RK says “They must be doubled or not throughout.” Your comments about the complexity and abuses of doubling are clear.

However if there *are* cases where unison doubling is appropriate, they should, as RK says be used continuously. Why then should the specific 4 doublings given in example 1 be avoided even “if doubled throughout” as RK seems to suggest

Best Regards

Crazykeys

Go Back to forum