• Register
  • Help

Topic: velocity/volume question.

Share/Bookmark

velocity/volume question.

I am using GPO with sonar 5 and overture 4. I understand the difference between volume(mod wheel cc1) and velocity(strength of attack of note). I know that velocity is controlled by how hard a key is hit on a velocity sensitive keyboard. My question is, if I have eight midi notes( entered manually, not in real time), and I want to accent every other note to simulate the action that occurs when you strike a keyboard key harder, how do I do that. I know I can control the volume by drawing in cc1 values in the piano roll mode in sonar, but is there a cc? that would in effect be the same as striking a key harder? I searched the forum for velocity issues, but could not find anything that describes a controller and value that addresses my question. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: velocity/volume question.

You don't need a CC for this. You can edit the key velocity directly in the piano roll editor.

In Sonar, key velocity shows up as vertical lines in the controller pane. From the Edit MIDI Event Type drop-down list, choose "Key/velocity" and go from there.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I thought the mod wheel(cc1) was garritans replacement for the velocity in sonar. So you are saying that if I raise the velocity line in sonar that it will be the same as striking a keyboard key harder.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I thought the mod wheel(cc1) was garritans replacement for the velocity in sonar. So you are saying that if I raise the velocity line in sonar that it will be the same as striking a keyboard key harder.
    CC1 controls "volume" on expressive instruments like woodwinds, strings, brass.

On pecussive instruments--piano, drums, etc--velocity controls the "volume".
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Yes. And that will create the effect of a harder accent, without affecting the volume.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Sorry, I just realized I may be completely misunderstanding the question.

If you want the notes to be louder, the only way to accomplish this is by manipulating CC1 data, either by playing it in that way or drawing it in the piano roll view.

Editing the key velocity will give you a sharper attack, but won't affect the volume. For some reason, when you said "accent" that's what I immediately thought of.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks for the input. I was trying to understand how to get that sharper attack in piano roll mode as if I was striking the keyboard key harder and I get it now. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    CC1 controls "volume" on expressive instruments like woodwinds, strings, brass.

On pecussive instruments--piano, drums, etc--velocity controls the "volume".
    Dan I think you had it right first time and Billp has the best explanation above:

my paraphrasing:
    For percussive instruments - piano, harspichord, plucked strings, percussion, etc velocity IS the only thing that affects volume (ignoring for the moment 'drum roll' type patches) - the harder you strike, the louder the sound (and brighter on some patches)

For instruments where the dynamic is not a function of the original 'strike' - wind, brass, bowed strings, cc1 (mod wheel) controls volume and timbre and then the velocity depending on the patch will give more bite or initial attack.

This mimics reality precisely - you can't make a piano sound louder half way through a note, and niether is the volume and timbre of a brass instrument limited by the initial blow.

Go Back to forum