• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ANNOUNCING: NOTION Protege

Share/Bookmark

ANNOUNCING: NOTION Protege

Our newest product, Protege, is now available for pre-order for $75 on our website. Retail will be $99 when released next month. Be sure to check out the usage comparison chart to see how this product differs from NOTION. It's essentially a pared down version of NOTION, not a supplemental product. If you've enjoyed the NOTION demo, this may be a more affordable solution for you, or it may be an ideal gift for that person to whom you've been raving about NOTION. We're all very excited about this new product, and hope our customers will be, too.

Re: ANNOUNCING: NOTION Protege

Jason,

Congratulations on your new product. Protege looks like it will be a winner.

All the best for a successful release.

Gary Garritan

This looks great.

Is the feature comparison chart comprehensive?
    Are there any other hidden differences?
    Just about to order.

Thanks

PS .. Oh oh. Just got to the end of ordering and noticed your shipping charges ... which are way too expensive.
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Are the sound files the same as the full version?
    Jim

P4, 3.4 ghz, XP Pro SP2, 2 gig ram

What will retail price in the UK be?

Can you update Protege with the same extra sound files as notion?
    www.naxosradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Congratulations on your new product. Protege looks like it will be a winner.

All the best for a successful release.
    Thanks Gary.

This looks great.

Is the feature comparison chart comprehensive?
    Are there any other hidden differences?
    Just about to order.

Thanks

PS .. Oh oh. Just got to the end of ordering and noticed your shipping charges ... which are way too expensive.
    Where do you live? The shipping is FedEx ground, and is dependent on your location. Let me know where you are and I can verify the shipping cost for you.

Are the sound files the same as the full version?
    The files are the same, but there are fewer of them in certain sample sets, like extreme quiet in the brass and extreme louds in the woodwinds.

What will retail price in the UK be?

Can you update Protege with the same extra sound files as notion?
    Are you in the UK? The shipping on the website may have reflected that and would have looked high. I'm going to do some research real fast and get back to you.

You will not be able to update Protege with sound kits.

Also, regarding the differences between NOTION and PROTEGE, the chart is fairly comprehensive. Perhaps you have specific features you're asking about?

Hi Jason

Yes I do live in the uk. $60 was the shipping price quoted, which practically doubles the price. (and both the shipping cost and product price will have 17.5% tax added at point of import... and FedEx will add their own tax handling charge( ). The final price at my doorstep would be at least $200 based on past experience of buying from the US and dealing with FedEx I'm afraid.) ..... anyway if that's what it costs to ship, thats what it costs.

Hmmm, but I'm more concerned the feature comparison chart is only "fairly" comprehensive. Since I don't know Notion at all, its difficult to ask specific questions. e.g. the difference in the range of dynamic levels is very significant difference to my mind and should be published. And the fact that you can't add sound packs.

Why don't you just publish the full list of differences?

It still sounds attractive if it can be bought in the UK for a comparible $price, but to be honest I am very, very wary now over what it and can't do, and the quality of the samples. I don't think I can consider buying this until Virtuoso publish the full specification, and declare all the differences.
    www.naxosradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Buchan
    Hi Jason

Yes I do live in the uk. $60 was the shipping price quoted, which practically doubles the price. (and both the shipping cost and product price will have 17.5% tax added at point of import... and FedEx will add their own tax handling charge( ). The final price at my doorstep would be at least $200 based on past experience of buying from the US and dealing with FedEx I'm afraid.) ..... anyway if that's what it costs to ship, thats what it costs.

Hmmm, but I'm more concerned the feature comparison chart is only "fairly" comprehensive. Since I don't know Notion at all, its difficult to ask specific questions. e.g. the difference in the range of dynamic levels is very significant difference to my mind and should be published. And the fact that you can't add sound packs.

Why don't you just publish the full list of differences?

It still sounds attractive if it can be bought in the UK for a comparible $price, but to be honest I am very, very wary now over what it and can't do, and the quality of the samples. I don't think I can consider buying this until Virtuoso publish the full specification, and declare all the differences.
    You're absolutely right. That's perfectly fair.

I did some checking, and apparently Protege includes all the same samples as Notion. The only difference that I've managed to find out that isn't on the chart is the security. Protege uses a serial number instead of a dongle. Now, I would say that's a feature difference since the dongle allows you to use one copy of Notion on multiple machines whereas a serial number does not. I'm working on getting this added to the website.

Right now, I recommend that no one from Europe preorder until I can work out a more cost-effective solution for you. I have a couple of things I'm trying to work out, so hold off for a bit and let me get back to you.

Jason,

Thanks very much for your investigations on our behalf.

To me it is a no-brainer to purchase, especially if the comparison chart is after all a true comparison (dongle not-withstanding). Protege looks like a great composition scratch-pad now .....
    www.naxosradio.com

Go Back to forum