• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Monitors- how's this mix??

Share/Bookmark

New Monitors- how's this mix??

I'm testing some of the new JBL LSR4300 monitors. So far just in general listening I really like the sound but I'm trying to get a handle on how they are affecting what I mix. This is the first thing I tried on them- in general I hear a lot of improvement in certain areas over what I was getting but I also think I hear some potential trouble areas. I'd appreciate it if you guys would listen to this on your own systems and tell me what you hear! Thanks!!

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...Will_Go_On.mp3

(This is a cover of a song by the Gaither Vocal Band called I Will Go On for a current Gospel project in the studio.)

EDIT-

Here's a remix of the song reflecting some of the thoughts in the thread. I think I'm getting used to the monitors- not perfect yet but getting there! Also, we totally recut the lead vocal today using a Studio Projects C1. Better sound and better performance.

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred..._JBL_Remix.mp3

Re: New Monitors- how's this mix??

Of all the 10 billion members of NSS, I am probably the least qualified to comment on a good mix , but to me it sounds great except the vox seem a tad too hot. But just a tad – and maybe out front a little too much…I know this is usually a desired effect, but it seems overcompensated (slightly).
    Other than that, I think it sounds great Fred!

…2112

P.S. I really should invest in a left near field monitor so I'll have a complete pair ...just kidding!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks!! The vocals are definitely too far out front, I totally agree, even for Gospel where they really want that. Do they sound harsh at all?

Fred, Brian nailed that

Very nice work, especially in the areas where the vocals "get big" the strings should be a little more buried, actually they are a little too close. The bass guitar could be a little louder to me.
    From the sound of the mix, it sounds like the JBL's are bass happy.
    This of course would cause your mixes to be too thin most other places. I realize I am preaching to the choir here.

Dan

I think it's more that I'm so shocked just hearing low end (going from a 4" to an 8" driver) that I'm a little afraid I'm overdoing it and overcompensating... If anything I thought the JBLs seemed a bit bright on material I'm used too and I was afraid the mix would come out dull but it seems to be the opposite. Odd.

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...eve_In_You.mp3

Just for grins you might want to try this one too- I did it today also. The harp isn't mixed in right and the backup vocals should be totally ignored- they need much more added to them. But mainly I'm just trying to get eq's right.

This a cover of Lord I Believe In You, same project. Oh, and obviously there's no lead vocal or electric guitar yet.

EDIT- link disabled- I had to free up space and it was a large file!

Fred,

I'm curious; on the second clip are your guitars real or sampled? Also, what are using for percussion on the opening section? Sounds great; my compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Fred,

I'm curious; on the second clip are your guitars real or sampled? Also, what are using for percussion on the opening section? Sounds great; my compliments!
    Both- two tracks of a real acoustic doubled with two tracks of Realguitar. The percussion is all DFHS Superior apart from a track of bass tabla from MOTU Ehtno.

Thanks.

Fred, On "Lord I Believe In You" I know you are not talking about mix per se, although real decent, the EQ on stuff sounds real nice to me on my old but great Tannoy monitors, I use these for mastering.
    The Garritan Stradivari sure would make those string sections sound awesome, (just peaking through) maybe some more hi-hat too
    I'm gettin' picky here sorry,
    Dan

Go Back to forum