• Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Topic: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Smile Re: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Wow! It took over a year to get to the point where I can actually use the Strad. I can finally play the Garritan Strad in the manner it was designed.

Here's the story: I was using the Yamaha FC-9 pedal with my M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard, but was not getting a full range of CC11 into Kontakt or any other VST instrument or effect I tried. Just 60-127. I kept getting frustrated and put the Strad aside and shelved the pedal too. I then finally acquired aBoss FV500-L and found that it that yeilds a full range of CC11 data. This pedal is perfect for playing the Strad with the Axiom 61 (it works with the other Axioms as well btw) and is very smooth delivering full 0-127 continuous controller data with no jumps or gaps.

The FC-9 feels very good and is a well built unit and I will keep it as a volume pedal for playing electric guitar. It does this job it does very well and is sturdy enough for use on stage.

Phew!

Cheers,
    Gordon

Re: Expression Pedal Recommendation

<<<Wow! It took over a year to get to the point where I can actually use the Strad. I can finally play the Garritan Strad in the manner it was designed.

Here's the story: I was using the Yamaha FC-9 pedal with my M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard, but was not getting a full range of CC11 into Kontakt or any other VST instrument or effect I tried. Just 60-127. I kept getting frustrated and put the Strad aside and shelved the pedal too. I then finally acquired aBoss FV500-L and found that it that yeilds a full range of CC11 data. This pedal is perfect for playing the Strad with the Axiom 61 (it works with the other Axioms as well btw) and is very smooth delivering full 0-127 continuous controller data with no jumps or gaps.

The FC-9 feels very good and is a well built unit and I will keep it as a volume pedal for playing electric guitar. It does this job it does very well and is sturdy enough for use on stage.

Phew!

Cheers,
    Gordon>>>

I had that exact problem with my Yamaha FC7 pedal and Studiologic keyboard until I followed the suggestion below -

<<<Originally Posted by GaryW
    For those of you having trouble with your expression pedal, you should be aware of a polarity incompatibility between the expression inputs of Roland and Yamaha keyboards, and other keyboards as well. Having just gotten the Strad in the group buy, I bought a Yamaha FC-7 foot pedal, but found that on plugging it into my Roland A-37 controller it was very nonlinear, pegging at 127 with almost no rotation. If you don't want to hassle with DIY soldering to get the polarity right, there is a fairly cheap solution available from
    http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html ,which is a connecting cable that switches the polarity going into the keyboard. It runs $15 plus $4 shipping in the US. This made my FC-7 perfectly linear, moving nicely from 0 to 127. The only problem now is to get the brain to leg interface working equally as smooth! >>>
    Bosco Adama

Is it mandatory to use an expression PEDAL?
    Can't you draw in cc11 data in your sequencer?
    Does this do more than just volume in Stradivari Solo Violin?
    Can the Peavey DPM C8 which I also use assign cc11 to one of the wheels?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

you can draw midi CC#11 in your DAW if you want to, that will work. The pedal will be helpful with real-time playing, hard to do if you have to draw in the data, but if you're just sequencing it then drawing the data in is just fine.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thank you for your reply but for some reason I don't hear very much of a change in the sound when I draw in cc11.
    What is the difference between cc7 channel volume and cc11 expression in Stradivari Solo Violin?
    I also don't hear a change in the sound when I assign cc11 on my controller, although modulation (vibrato) and cc7 channel volume work normally.
    Could it be a Kontakt 3 setting?

Go Back to forum