• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Re: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Thanks for the tip but I already tried that after reading the instructions. The instructions also state - *Connect the EV 5 only with Roland or Boss products......or may result in damage to the unit.

My controller is a StudioLogic 880 (there is no volume slider to set to max). While using the EV5 the best range I can achieve is 0 -108 and often my 880 keyboard freezes up and requires several reboots.
    The Yamaha FC7's range is 19-127 without any lockups. According to the instructions the range is not adjustable.
    Well, just a follow about my faulty expression pedals -

The problem was not the Roland EV5 or the Yamaha FC7 but the SL 880. I tried my pedals with another keyboard and they both work flawlessly
    I like the Yamaha best - it's built like a tank!
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    I like the Yamaha best - it's built like a tank!
    My EV-5 is more like a soft skinned Humvee...

/Joey

Hi Rhap,

The yamaha has this nice spring feature so that you can make the foot pedal act like the pitch-wheel - you know, it springs back to the middle position when you lets go. That is really useful for some controllers. You can change the spring or deactivate it if you don't need that functionality.

The other pedals all seems fine to me, but the Yamaha is so well made - it weighs a couple of pounds. Guess I'm not too picky

Cheers,
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Long
    Hi Rhap,

The yamaha has this nice spring feature so that you can make the foot pedal act like the pitch-wheel - you know, it springs back to the middle position when you lets go. That is really useful for some controllers. You can change the spring or deactivate it if you don't need that functionality.
    The Yamaha FC7 has an angle adjustment setting to choose between standing and sitting position. But I haven't been able to locate a spring function or is it mentioned in the directions.
    Bosco Adama

Sounds good, Kenny. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your response.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

For those of you having trouble with your expression pedal, you should be aware of a polarity incompatibility between the expression inputs of Roland and Yamaha keyboards, and other keyboards as well. Having just gotten the Strad in the group buy, I bought a Yamaha FC-7 foot pedal, but found that on plugging it into my Roland A-37 controller it was very nonlinear, pegging at 127 with almost no rotation. If you don't want to hassle with DIY soldering to get the polarity right, there is a fairly cheap solution available from
    http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html ,which is a connecting cable that switches the polarity going into the keyboard. It runs $15 plus $4 shipping in the US. This made my FC-7 perfectly linear, moving nicely from 0 to 127. The only problem now is to get the brain to leg interface working equally as smooth!

I just bought the Fatar at I must say that I don't like it. I found it hard to control and a bit lightweight. It has a plastic gear that looks easy to break. Hard to complain at $29 but not what I had hoped

Obviously not the way others feel who have posted here. 'I'm trying o decide whether to keep it or return it and purchase something more substantial.

What I really liked about the Fatar was the polarity switch. Seems like it would be a pain to have to resolder the connector if it didn;t work with your keyboard.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Hi Bosco,

Mine has a spring angle adjustment - 0 to 10 degrees. It is right next to the angle adjustment.

Anyone else have the FC-7? I'd like to know if others have this spring feature or not.

Cheers,
    Kenny Long

Ok. I've put on my spectacles and found it.
    On the bottom and in the center of my FC7 pedal there is a figure 8 shaped plastic section. The top hole has nothing in it but has printed next to it
    <SPRING POINT ADJ.

The bottom hole has the adjustment screw.

thanks!
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by GaryW
    For those of you having trouble with your expression pedal, you should be aware of a polarity incompatibility between the expression inputs of Roland and Yamaha keyboards, and other keyboards as well. Having just gotten the Strad in the group buy, I bought a Yamaha FC-7 foot pedal, but found that on plugging it into my Roland A-37 controller it was very nonlinear, pegging at 127 with almost no rotation. If you don't want to hassle with DIY soldering to get the polarity right, there is a fairly cheap solution available from
    http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html ,which is a connecting cable that switches the polarity going into the keyboard. It runs $15 plus $4 shipping in the US. This made my FC-7 perfectly linear, moving nicely from 0 to 127. The only problem now is to get the brain to leg interface working equally as smooth!

thanks for the tip!
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast