• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Re: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    I was given a Roland EV-5 expression pedal for christmas and it works great.
    My EV5 has given me nothing but problems. It's headed for eBay!
    That potentiometer on the side seems to be inaccurate. I can not achieve the full midi value range ( 0 - 127). The best value range I've been able to get is 0 -108. Also, if the pedal is set to any position other then zero it constantly sends a midi control change.
    I need something more reliable.
    Bosco Adama

I have an EV-5 and I replaced it today with a Yamaha FC7. The difference is night and day. The Roland never gets a full range, the best I've ever gotten was like 11 to 126, and that was after a lot of playing around. The Roland pedal also seemed to jump values so it was never all that smooth. Also it seemed to be non-linear (most of the change was lumped to the top.)

The Yamaha on the other hand is built like a tank, the motion is fluid, the values get from 0 to 127 (small bit of bottom end pegs at 0, but not more than say 5% of the travel), and seems pretty linear. If I recall correctly they are about the same price. Honestly after the experience I've had today, I'll probably pick up a second Yamaha FC7. Only possible downside is the Yamaha is about 30% bigger, for me I like that as I have big feet, but if you're trying to fit stuff into a tight space it might be a problem.

Talking Re: Expression Pedal Recommendation

Well I guess that I was lucky that the ev-5 that I got seems to get the full range and has no problems. Maybe they fixed the more recently manufactured ones. Or maybe the working one that I got was a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric von Bayer
    I have an EV-5 and I replaced it today with a Yamaha FC7. The difference is night and day. The Roland never gets a full range, the best I've ever gotten was like 11 to 126, and that was after a lot of playing around. The Roland pedal also seemed to jump values so it was never all that smooth. Also it seemed to be non-linear (most of the change was lumped to the top.)
    The Yamaha on the other hand is built like a tank, the motion is fluid, the values get from 0 to 127 (small bit of bottom end pegs at 0, but not more than say 5% of the travel), and seems pretty linear. If I recall correctly they are about the same price. Honestly after the experience I've had today, I'll probably pick up a second Yamaha FC7. Only possible downside is the Yamaha is about 30% bigger, for me I like that as I have big feet, but if you're trying to fit stuff into a tight space it might be a problem.
    I just picked up a Yamaha FC7 to try to replace my Roland EV5 . The best range that I can get from the Yamaha is 19 - 127. It seems these pedals must vary alot.
    But I do like the solid construction. I wonder if there is a way to adjust it to get the full range.
    Bosco Adama

On the EV-5 you have to set it up first by pressing it all the way down, and turning the volume on your keyboard to the maximum setting, then press the pedal all the way back, and set the knob on the pedal to the minimum setting. Then you should have full range. Maybe the Yamaha is set up like this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    On the EV-5 you have to set it up first by pressing it all the way down, and turning the volume on your keyboard to the maximum setting, then press the pedal all the way back, and set the knob on the pedal to the minimum setting. Then you should have full range. Maybe the Yamaha is set up like this as well?
    Thanks for the tip but I already tried that after reading the instructions. The instructions also state - *Connect the EV 5 only with Roland or Boss products......or may result in damage to the unit.

My controller is a StudioLogic 880 (there is no volume slider to set to max). While using the EV5 the best range I can achieve is 0 -108 and often my 880 keyboard freezes up and requires several reboots.
    The Yamaha FC7's range is 19-127 without any lockups. According to the instructions the range is not adjustable.
    Bosco Adama

I just tested the range of the Fatar VP/26 expression pedal that I recently bought after Giorgio's recommendation. It produces a range of 0 - 127, and the controller curve drawn by the pedal is very smooth. A real performer at $29.95.

The Fatar pedal is designed to work with Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Ensonic, and Korg.

FWIW, I just got a VP26-F (an older model). Works fine, gets 0-127 on a PC88MX but the cheaper construction doesn't make a for a really smooth (physically) pedal.
    DAW: Dual Core 5200 4GB 160 IDE 320 SATA Sonar 4/GIGA: P4 3.0 1.5GB GS3 80 SATA 160 SATA GS Orchestra

Hi Rhap2, I also have a couple DPM-C8 controller keyboards. I love them! I have used all of the volume pedals mentioned above with no problems and I was able to get full control out of all of them. I prefer the Yamaha myself.

Thanks Kenny. I have been pulling my hair out emailing manufacturers (without replies) trying to find out about the compatabillity of the C8p with different volume pedals.

Your like the Yamaha. Did you try the VP 26 U? You did mention that you tried all of the above and it was included. Georgio Tommasini really likes the VP 26. Why do you like the Yamaha over it?

Thanks again for your info.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast