• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Percussion VI?

Share/Bookmark

Percussion VI?

Hi

I'm looking for a good percussion VI/Sample LIbrary. Kind of like Stylus RMX for Percussion. Thing is I don't need anything that sounds complex - I actually like a lot of Garageband Apple Loops, but am having a devil of a time having it work in Digital Performer 4.52 or Live 4 which is where I do most of my production stuff.

I'd rather not use a MIDI keyboard to lay stuff down, I just want to drag, drop and go. Along those lines I guess I'd like recommendations on good perc libraries, preferably in .rex format. If they also have cool ethno instruments that include East Indian and/or African sounds - that would just be the icing on the cake.

Thanks kindly,

Charles

Re: Percussion VI?

Get RMX with Liquid Grooves and Ethno Techno Xpanders. :-)

Lots of Perc REX libraries out there too that can be used in RMX as well.

I'm very happy with Percussionism, the REX-files were rather "RMX-ready", easy to import.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Get RMX with Liquid Grooves and Ethno Techno Xpanders. :-)

Lots of Perc REX libraries out there too that can be used in RMX as well.
    Eric is right, these are both spectacular libraries but Groove Elements in the standard core library also has some cool percussion instruments too!

Also, Toontrack is releasing the Latin Percussion EZX for EZDrummer. Thousands of great percusion grooves that you can drag and drop and a killer sound- might be exactly what you want!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Also, Toontrack is releasing the Latin Percussion EZX for EZDrummer. Thousands of great percusion grooves that you can drag and drop and a killer sound- might be exactly what you want!
    Just note that products like EZ Drummer and Stylus RMX have one very HUGE difference regarding their loops:

Stylus RMX loops consist of audio loops - aka: recordings of live human musicians playing their acoustic instruments in a room.

Products like BFD/EZ Drummer/Groove Agent/Strike etc. do NOT use audio loops, but use MIDI sequenced/programmed performances triggering a detailed multisample set. So these products use MIDI sequence loops, not AUDIO loops.

Both approaches have validity and their own pros/cons of course, but there are some major differences in the end musical result because of this as well.

I point this out because there seems to be a general lack of understanding about this basic difference now that the two worlds are closer together than they ever have been:

• Audio loop based products like RMX can turn a live audio recording into a MIDI sequence that can be manipulated in a sequencer.

• Modern MIDI loop based products like EZ Drummer/BFD etc now have more realistic sequenced loops because they are triggering more detailed samples.

However, they are not the same by any means. The origin of the loop performance makes a huge musical difference in the end result.

Our philosophy is that as good as some of the MIDI loops are these days, there's still nothing like a recording of a great musician playing a real acoustic instrument. :-)

That's enlightening, Eric. Thanks much.

Very true. and there's also nothing like wishing that your percussionist hadn't played the shaker on beat 3 and a half with QUITE so much emphasis- and being able to change it!! As you say, there's arguments for either format. I like the versatility of MIDI based grooves- the sound and feel are still provided by professional players in professional recording environments but you also have the ability to edit a performance or create your own. At the end of the day, I would say have both!

Of course, all your examples can be done with RMX too. ;-)

We think people should have the real-deal and the flexibility to edit and create your own patterns too.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Of course, all your examples can be done with RMX too. ;-)

We think people should have the real-deal and the flexibility to edit and create your own patterns too.
    Sonufa-- just typed a response and my browser crashed and ate it. Long story short: I love RMX, I use it every day, it is awesome for the many strengths it has. But while slicing up a loop into bits gives you some rudimentary control over timing and absolute volume it does not give the kind of performance capability that a great multisample does. So I still say use both.

Go Back to forum