• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Silent Stradivari Syndrome

Share/Bookmark

Post The Silent Stradivari Syndrome

The Silent Stradivari Syndrome

Diagnosis, cause and treatment.

This recently discovered syndrome represents a serious threat to the mental health of the new customers of the Stradivari Player using a PC. Mac users are apparently not affected.

THE DIAGNOSIS relies on the following symptoms:

One installs the Stradivari Player on his PC, correctly sets midi input, midi controllers and audio card, starts playing, and hears...absolutely no sound.

THE CAUSE was identified, using a sophisticated deductive strategy developed by Dr. Giorgio. Tommasini, Stefano. Lucato and Marius. Wilhelmi (Native Instruments), as two defective dll, namely NI_DFD_1_4.dll (direct from disc) and NI_IRC_1_1.dll, included into the installation package.

The odd fact is that if a working DFD is already present on the system, the bugged files on the installation CD will not be loaded. In this case, the lucky customer will not be affected by the said syndrome.

THE TREATMENT: this is one of those rare cases where appropriate treatments leads to complete recovery. It will be sufficient to overwrite the bugged dll by extracting the zipped working dll into the following folder:

system drive:\WINDOWS\system32 (example C:\WINDOWS\system32 )

The dll can be downloaded from http://www.garritan.com/Strad/Stradi...extensions.zip

Yours,

Giorgio Tommasini, MD,
    Cardiodeveloper

Unhappy Re: The Silent Stradivari Syndrome

I'm sure this is a very nice instrument indeed. However, it didn't work for me. Still no sound even after this download. Then again with the luck I've been experiencing lately I wasn't at all surprised.
    Styxx

Re: The Silent Stradivari Syndrome

I'm having a somewhat related problem on a Mac G5 dual 2Ghz 4Gb RAM. Using the Strad vers. 2 w/Kontakt2, everything works very well for a while. But at some point, in every session, I lose audio completely. Midi is still fine, but no sounds come out of Kompakt2. If I reload the instrument all is fine for a while. This is getting annoying.

I occasionally get the same thing happening with K2 (not specifically Strad 2).. for me, it is CC#7 setting itself to zero for no apparent reason. Do you have a simple way of sending CC#7=127 into K2 (if that is indeed the same problem for you, the sound should come back immediately).
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio
    I'm having a somewhat related problem on a Mac G5 dual 2Ghz 4Gb RAM. Using the Strad vers. 2 w/Kontakt2, everything works very well for a while. But at some point, in every session, I lose audio completely. Midi is still fine, but no sounds come out of Kompakt2. If I reload the instrument all is fine for a while. This is getting annoying.
    Well, after several hours of testing I was able to duplicate the loss of audio. I have determined that the problem is caused by idiot user error. I have evidently hit an unassigned key (resulting in no key-switch) which, of course, resulted in no sound. Switching an appropriate assigned key-switch note brings the audio back. Of course, (stupid, stupid!)

Sorry for any angst I caused you Giorgio.

Tarkio,

You made be happy! (once in a while, I feel I need it)

Giorgio

I'd like to add my own sad story--and ultimate happy resolution--to this thread, in case anyone else encounters the same situation as I.

I've tried to start trying to learn the Strad several times, but always gave up after a couple frustrating evenings of "no sound". This week I determined that I was going to get it going if it killed me. I visited user boards and tutorial sites, re-read the manual, wrote my Cubase user group, contacted Garritan and Native Instruments; uninstalled and reinstalled Cubase, Strad, JABB and Kontakt Player 2 multiple times, re-downloaded and reinstalled all the updates (with all the associated registrations/activations), checked settings and channels, assigned controls, tested in various programs, etc. All I was able to determine was that the common denominator in failed sound was instruments powered by KP2. (Everything else was fine.)

TONIGHT (5 MINUTES AGO) I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!

The Fix, FYI:

I searched my Windows\System 32 folder and discovered three different versions of each of the "no-sound fix" dll files. I kept:

NI_DFD_1_5.dll
    NI-IRC-1_2.dll

and deleted the earlier versions of each. I immediately had sound.

Now I can finally start learning how to use the Strad. Trust me when I say it was only the sheer beauty of the instrument that pulled me through the hours and hours I spent, this week alone, just trying to get a sound.

Kudos and sincere thanks to you, Giorgio, for your brilliance in making these remarkable, expressive sounds available to musicians all over the world.

Barb

Thank you very much Barb for your kind words.

I'm really happy you could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Giorgio

Go Back to forum