• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this piece lacking harmony

Share/Bookmark

Is this piece lacking harmony

Sometimes its hard to get a honest answer on AP.. i am one who is trying to understand harmony..Comments on this piece will mean a lot.. Whats it lacking? And does it sound thin? Thanks in advance..Just trying to learn at this point..What to change, and what to add or remove...All was done with Opus 1..Joseph
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=888978&t=580

Re: Is this piece lacking harmony

sometimes people dont' like Honesty, as composers we tend to have a lot of pride or dont like to be critisized for our works when "were our worst criticts^_-"

ok you have vsl right so you have all the tools to make each and every line expressive get on it man, don't leave a horn line sitting there make it move even if it's just whole notes used as a pedal tone to the string section.
    so go back and take every instrument and think about what there doing then use key switches for each one think how a player plays these instruments, grab a film score cd and listen to example to compare to your own work.
    Listen to what happens in the orchestra for each and every line.

create more dim and cress for phrases, so if were changing something we want feel the pull of the instruments and then maybe little push before something dramtic happens.

Now that is done let's get on to some compostion stuff.

Use more question and answering phrases with instruments and voices.
    create more tension with harmony^_-
    so don't just have major and minor chords as small intervals use larger harmonic extentions too and dissonent chords, how about before going into your main melody to add a sus chord before that...answer with strings then go into the trumpet line. Listen to Bacel(spelling VSL examples there sick!)and it truly shows how amazing VSL is!
    have fun man!
    and keep at it no matter what! It might be really frustrating at first but just keep at it. Do something really simple like two instruments and make them as expressive as possible with VSL. Better yet one instrument, take that trumpet and make it as expressive as possible!
    compose your music as a melody then add harmony then look at your work and see where you want your instruments.

Look at chart of the orchestra and see where instruments are in the stereo feild.
    Keep it up!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Strange Cat, that was some wonderful advice.. I dont think I could ask for better honesty then that.. Many Thanks....Joseph

This page Rocks the house Mech289^_-
    This guy uses VSL and not only that it is a great page to read up on doing orchestra midi moch-up.

I would also recommend some books on midi orchestration, really all the tools are the same that are applyed to making synth track come alive. Look at Wendy Carlos Switched on Bach(she used Mooge Synth!)

http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/index.php

Great page above!!!

I never asume that I can't learn something about music, music is vast so vast that the learning never stops.
    you can never learn to much about music production and music in general.
    have fun
    later!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Many Thanks once again.. I am trying to find a good book on harmony right now.. And on my way to the page in a bit..Your comments are truly welcomed.. In the mean time I will continue plugging along.. It could only get better.. I think anyway..Joseph

Go Back to forum