• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing Instrument Sounds in JABB

Share/Bookmark

Changing Instrument Sounds in JABB

I have just bought Garritan JABB and am at an early stage in the learning curve! I use Finale and my elderly friend uses Sibelius. My friend's main desire with the Garritan library was to be able to change instruments in the trumpet and trombone staves from, say, open sounds to any of the muted variations. In the past, both of us have done this with program change commands, but these don't seem to apply to the way the JABB sounds are implemented. Each Kontakt player in the Garritan Studio program has eight instruments, each one given a different MIDI channel number. Therefore it seems that a way has to be found to change the MIDI channel of a particular stave at particular points in the arrangement. I can see that in Finale this can be easily achieved by employing different layers for the different muted variations of the brass instruments (each layer can be given a different MIDI channel), but I can't find any way of doing this in Sibelius. Surely the ability to change to muted sounds in a big band arrangement is vital!

I would appreciate any help that more experienced users can give me.

Thanks,

David Kear

Cabot Music Productions

Re: Changing Instrument Sounds in JABB

In Finale, load the keyswitch version of each instrument (i.e., Tpt 1 KS). The keyswitch version contains all of the mute choices. Putting the appropriate expression in triggers the correct keyswitch in Finale. In Sibelius I'm sure you could add the keyswitch note in another layer and hide it so it doesn't print.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. It's all in the manual, isn't it? (I should have looked more carefully!) I have relayed the answer to my elderly friend.

Regards,

David Kear

Hi David,

If you have Finale 2007, Human Playback is completely up-to-date with JABB: various mutes are automatically switched onto (with text expressions such "Harmon", etc.), and there are other JABB-specific goodies.

In any case, don't forget to use the "Notation" folder of instruments.

Cheers
    Robert P.

Thanks, Robert and Jeff, for all your help. I have just updated to Finale 2007, so I am looking forward to seeing how JABB is incorporated (the update hasn't arrived yet). One more question from my elderly friend:

Using JABB in Sibelius, how does one change sounds from, say, alto sax to clarinet on the same stave?

Regards,

David Kear

Quote Originally Posted by cabot001
    Thanks, Robert and Jeff, for all your help. I have just updated to Finale 2007, so I am looking forward to seeing how JABB is incorporated (the update hasn't arrived yet). One more question from my elderly friend:

Using JABB in Sibelius, how does one change sounds from, say, alto sax to clarinet on the same stave?

Regards,

David Kear
    I don't have sibelius, but I imagine that you would have to have the alto sax and clarinet set up in the J&BB player on different channels, and then just do a channel change. In Finale, a text expression can be used to perform a channel change, and I'm sure that Sibelius can do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    I'm sure that Sibelius can do something similar.
    Unless I have missed something, doing a channel change is something you cannot do in Sibelius 4. (Sibelius power users will confirm this).

R.

I'll add that when the K2 Player version of the library is introduced there will be a new KS instrument that lets the user switch between sax and a few other woodwinds from within a single stave or track. For example, Alto sax can switch to flute, clarinet, or soprano sax. Choices differ with primary sax type. That will be included in the update.

Tom

Thanks to all for the help. Finale seems to be ahead of the game, so I'm glad I stuck with it through the years!

I'm looking to get a new PC soon and would like to make sure I can run Finale 2007 and the Garritan JABB successfully on it - perhaps you guys could advise. I have seen two Packard Bell Imedia PCs in my local PC World store and the specs are:

1. Packard Bell Imedia 1559

Intel Pentium D 820 processor (2.8 GHz)
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB hard drive

2. Packard Bell Imedia 1569

Intel Core E 6300 processor (1.86 GHz)
    1 GB RAM
    200 GB hard drive

I have read that PCs like the 1569 which use the new Core processors are quieter machines, which appeals to me as I hate noisy fans in computers. However, I am wondering if the stated clock speed of 1.86 GHz for the 1569's processor will be fast enough (the minimum spec in the JABB manual states 2.0 GHz, and 2.4 GHz on the DVD-ROM case). Would I be wiser to go for the 1559 model?

Thanks,

David Kear

Go Back to forum