• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt tutorial DVD

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt tutorial DVD

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am about to receive and install Kontakt 2 for Mac. I noticed that there is a tutorial DVD available from NI. Is it worth it to buy this?

Thanks for your help.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Re: Kontakt tutorial DVD

it is for sure better than the manual in giving an idea about what can be done with contact

Yes, the manual is pathetic. The DVD is sort of the "missing manual." Cheaper to produce I guess than proper documentation...and they get to charge for it! While the DVD is not a comprehensive reference, it has been definitely worth the time and money for me.

Wink Re: Kontakt tutorial DVD

To be plain and simple....... Any video tutorial is better than "trudging through" a manual.

Spectrasonics proved this to the world with "absolute certainty" as they (and their clientele) blew by their competition in teaching their users how to master their tools.

Given the technology available today, you'd have to be a moron to put a product out onto the market without a video tutorial which allows your clientele to become at least "semi proficient' users of your tool,.... vs. universal morons of your product where only a few individuals actually end up using it with any sort of adeptness.

So, in short,.... buy products where there are video tutorials available.
    Don't buy those where there are none.
    Additionally, I feel that companies that charge for a video tutorial of their product are just trying to double dip their clients.

I resent it.

They treat their clients like whores.

Companies like Spectrasonics treat their clients like clients,....... and thereby have what is probably the highest customer loyalty ranking of any company in the music industry!!!!..... oh boy... what a surprise that is.

And simply because...... Eric Persing has, at some point, refused the easy way out of exploiting and devaluing the people that he makes his clients and his own business family.

So, enough said. Eventually everyone will come around.

I'm measuring the integrity of each company by "how long" it takes them to "get it"...... And though it appears that some never will....... that's OK, they'll be long gone before it ever dawns upon them why they failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    To be plain and simple....... Any video tutorial is better than "trudging through" a manual.
    I've got the Kontakt Tutorial DVD and haven't really went through it yet.

Every sampler I've own doesn't have the most detailed documentation.

Manuals are OK when you need something to read while you are on the can. They may also come in handy if you need emergency toilet paper.

Go with the tutorial DVD.

I've seen the tutorial DVD and it's excellent.

Also -- realizing I'm tooting my own horn -- I wrote a book on Kontakt 2 which was written with the intent of teaching Kontakt from a musician's perspective -- i.e. I show you step-by-step how to build patches in a musical context and to use Kontakt's features to do everything you want to do. If you prefer it in writing, the book might be the "missing manual" you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Kontakt-Power-...808697-6363100

Quote Originally Posted by David Das
    I wrote a book on Kontakt 2 which was written with the intent of teaching Kontakt from a musician's perspective --- the book might be the "missing manual" you're looking for:
    Hi David,
    might be an interesting book...
    but Amazon does not give much details.
    Could you list here the contents page(s), to help us make a better idea of the topics you cover in this manual ?
    Thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    Hi David,
    might be an interesting book...
    but Amazon does not give much details.
    Could you list here the contents page(s), to help us make a better idea of the topics you cover in this manual ?
    http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail....9863%2D030%2DX

Table of Contents
    1. A Quick Tour of Kontakt 2
    2. Installation and Setup
    "3. Getting Started with Kontakt 2
    4. Instrument Edit Mode
    5. Tools of the Trade: Modules and Modulators
    6. Real-World Uses
    7. Tone, Time, and Beat Machines
    8. Enhancing Your Workflow

Appendices:
    A. Kontakt 2 Resources
    B. Keyboard Shortcuts
    C. Troubleshooting
    D. Kontakt 2 in a Live Performance Environment
    I bought it, and I really like it.

The book is only $25 at Amazon, and I always compare books like this to the cost of private lessons. If I could even find someone in my area that gave "Kontakt 2 lessons", I would be lucky if I could get a 1 hour lesson from them for that price. The book is nearly 300 pages long, so I think it is the equivalent of a lot of 1 hour lessons.

Thanks Wafflemaster,
    I'll give it a thought.
    The price is not a problem, but I already have a lot of books of all sorts, and little room left... so I prefer to grant access only to really useful things.
    The table of contents is a bit vague, so i'll have to believe that you liked it because it's an in-depth guide to the heart of K2.
    In fact, I need to go beyond my current level, which is the very basic "load-your-native-libraries-and-play-them", because I'd like to customize my converted akai or giga libs, and make them sound younger than they are....

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    Thanks Wafflemaster,
    The table of contents is a bit vague, so i'll have to believe that you liked it because it's an in-depth guide to the heart of K2.
    In fact, I need to go beyond my current level, which is the very basic "load-your-native-libraries-and-play-them", because I'd like to customize my converted akai or giga libs, and make them sound younger than they are....
    I am a relative newbie to Kontakt 2, and I bought this book because I was underwhelmed by the manual. I am only part way through the book (I'm just a hobbyist so music is an after-hours endeavor), but from what I can see there is definitely content that will allow you to learn how to convert other libraries then edit them.

Hopefully David can post the actual Table of Contents from the book (I am suprised they did not do that at the Amazon website) so you can see a breakdown of the topics.

I don't own the NI Kontakt 2 video so I can't compare the two regarding level of detail

Go Back to forum