• Register
  • Help

Topic: From GPO to JABB (And back again)

Share/Bookmark

From GPO to JABB (And back again)

Dear All. I'm not a jazz/BB musician (yet!) but I've ordered a copy of JABB. I'm actually a GPO user but I've dicovered that I can write (I think, but you may disagree!) a passable jazz/big band tune. I usually do this for fun and distraction when I'm taking a break from composing orchestral masterpieces on my clavinova, but I've decided to maybe do it for real - actually spend some time getting to grips with it. The problem with my clav is you cant really satisfactorly edit what you record, plus you have to make do with basically a first take, plus you only have a limited set of articulations etc.

Anyway, I've decided to redo my jazz/bb tunes in JABB, having taken on board what other people have said on this forum about the pitfalls of using midi files with JABB that were made outside of it. I've (bravely IMHO) put a couple of my compositions recorded directly from my Clav to audio using Cubase on Soundclick, warts & all. I'm buying JABB coz i really want to redo them properly. Have a listen, comments invited and appreciated. The url is:

http://www.soundclick.com/rnbwbbo

Here's something else to consider. My clav automatically generates an intro/outro plus the backing rhythm track - on the tunes I've posted I only play the lead instruments. It's not something I would use a lot but it can be helpfull in getting feel for a tune. Any thoughts on this way of composing?

Cheers, Looking forward to getting hands on JABB. MD

Re: From GPO to JABB (And back again)

I was asked for a registration just to listen to the mp3, and I've already registered too many times in too many places...

Roberto

@Roberto: I am listening now, and I didn't have to register. Click on Music; this will take you to a page where you can start the player.

@Maestro-D: I am in no way a jazz expert, but this sounds quite good to me. Maybe I would expect a little more rubato/off-beatness from jazz music. But, as I said, I am no jazz expert, so don't put too much emphasis on this.

Thanx Nickie. Roberto, you can download them from here - right click and select Save Target As...:

http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~cs110/T...juschillin.mp3

http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~cs110/T...ingarooney.mp3

Once I've JABBed them to my liking I'll post the charts as freebies.

Cheers, MD

Nickie. if you are still there, i've been listening to your Snowflakes prelude + flute pieces. They sound really good. On the Snow flakes, did you consider some big crashing chords - sudden fff's. poor snowflakes. Neat piece.

Cheers, MD

Thanks, MD. The only suddenness I considered were the drops from fff to pp. Everything else was deliberately made progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    I was asked for a registration just to listen to the mp3, and I've already registered too many times in too many places...

Roberto
    It asked me to register too. If I have to register just to listen, I won't bother.

Sorry, I was really curious to hear this.

Jeff

Go Back to forum