• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gpo & Ewqlso

Share/Bookmark

Gpo & Ewqlso

Dear All. Educational EWQLSO Silver. I'm thinking this might complement GPO if they are not too similar. Would you pay this for it?

MD

Re: Gpo & Ewqlso

Depends.

1. The EDU version of EW cannot be used commercially.
    2. Silver has stretched samples so the quality is not the best to be found.
    3. Do you have any particulat articulations missing from GPO?
    4. It will be hell to mix as EW is really peculiar and difficult to mix because of production technics
    5. Actually I find that Gold is really good value for money, but still the new xp pro is even better, with some good articulations in there...

I'm not fond of Silver as it is simply a cut down version without much thought put into it. Let's put this, let's take that out (no extra expenses what so ever, since Platinum has all the recordings), and charge it a little less than everything else.

But of course, if I'm not mistaken it has a piano, an organ, and a choir also?

As I said depends on what you want, but you will probably have difficulty using both librarires at the same time.

What Gary said.

I have Miroslav Philharmonik and Halion Strings neither of which are great but they come in handy.

I like a lot of East West products in general but their Strings that come bundled in Collosus are APPALLING!@

jmp

Thanx for your replies - they have been really helpfull. MD

Post Re: Gpo & Ewqlso

M-D,
    I case you still look at this thread...
    EWQL Silver, to me, does not provide the same value that Gold does at the $495 price point available at Sweetwater. Gold does not stretch samples and to my (admittedly very humble) ears sounds much better. It is more expensive, but it is also a better bang for your buck.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    What Gary said.
    I like a lot of East West products in general but their Strings that come bundled in Collosus are APPALLING!@
    jmp
    YES!!

Well, really.....I wasn't all that impressed with Colussus's sounds all that much, anyway.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Let's try not to put down the competition. I realize people have a right to their opinion but let's avoid downplaying other products. Let's try to take the high road and focus on making music.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Let's try not to put down the competition. I realize people have a right to their opinion but let's avoid downplaying other products. Let's try to take the high road and focus on making music.
    Gary Garritan
    As a general policy I think this makes sense, but there also needs to be a mechanism in place to tell folks if a library, or any product for that matter, doesn't measure up for a particular user.

I don't think blanket statements are a good idea, but I do think folks ought to be able to say something to the effect of: "If you are considering library X you really need to listen to the strings/brass/whatever as they left me somewhat cold"

Similarly, guessing at a company's motives ("they cut out samples that don't cost them anything etc" ) is probably bad form as well. A better way to express this might be something like "the price difference between X and Y was not enough to make me consider saving a couple of bucks"

Slams and attacks, whether personal or product related never sound very good, or very credible! BUT, I would hate to see genuine concerns about a product be discouraged (notice I did not use the "C" word<G>!)

This community is remarkable in the high information to noise ratio, the willingness of folks to help others, and the general civility. I'd hate to see that change... but I also value the very useful product information that I find here.

As far as having too many libraries goes, well, I think that one can never have too many guitars, too many microphones, too many sound effects, or too many sound libraries. Come to think of it, there's no such thing as too many amplifiers or too many stomp boxes either!!!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    Similarly, guessing at a company's motives ("they cut out samples that don't cost them anything etc" ) is probably bad form as well. A better way to express this might be something like "the price difference between X and Y was not enough to make me consider saving a couple of bucks"
    Indeed you are right, and I apologise for this, I don't mean to start any flame war or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    This community is remarkable in the high information to noise ratio, the willingness of folks to help others, and the general civility. I'd hate to see that change... but I also value the very useful product information that I find here.
    I agree that this is a remarkable community and I want it to stay that way.

On competitors sites our products have been disparaged in the past (sometimes by developers themselves). It is distasteful and I do not want that happening here. I want this forum to remain the jewel that it is and not even start down the slippery slope what has ruined other forums.

On this subforum, we primarily discuss topics that relate to the use our products and various interesting topics. I don't think anyone would expect to get reliable information about a competing product on a GPO forum.

It doesn't seem right to downplay other products since those companies are not represented here and they may not get a fair shake. It would be like downplaying Sibelius on a Finale forum, or Cubase on a Sonar forum. We can certainly discuss what sounds complement or help to make better music, but there are also other ways to get information about other products.

There are dozens of good orchestral products out here and I recommend many of them. Many of the demos in the listening room use a combination of libraries. And from the beginning we have encouraged the use of other libraries. Our mantra is the more tools at your disposal and the more sounds in your pallette, the better.

What do others think?

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum