• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital Audio Perspective

Share/Bookmark

Digital Audio Perspective

Hey, I am sure this post will be removed based on it's content.

My Father passed away this year, May 19th 2006 and I have since then taken a good strong look at my life.

I have sold my home studio that consumed huge chunks of my time in frustration and reward trying to get my compositions placed in tv, film, gaming etc....like most of you here on this website. My investment in gear and website was around 40k I am sure some of you have spent more.

I can't put a dollar amount on the time spent learning how to use this high end software & hardware in a competnet way. Or, the 100's of weekly emails to music supervisors, game developers, producers etc...trying to promote my writing. Let me be clear, this was not intended as a hobby for me. It would be hard for me to justify spending the amount I did to just goof around.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask some questions and point out some discouraging truths about todays digital audio scene and maybe open some eyes.

Questions:

1. How many of you have paid off your investment in gear with income from your compostions?

2. Try a search on google for "royalty free music licensing"

3. How unbalanced is the ratio of composers who are writing music compared to the people who are looking for music?

4. How many gaming and production companies have their own "in house" music teams?

5. Does anyone know how much money software companies make?....NI, Spectrasonics etc...?

6. Do you think people in charge of placing music in games, tv, and film really know or care if you used a Waves L3 limiter on your master?...or if your track was done in Garage Band?

7. Have you ever been told by a producer that he "uses his brother in law for music and going to anyone else would make Thanksgiving dinner awakward".

I could come up with some more but these prove my point. This post was meant to point out some harsh realities that I feel are truths. I am choosing to take the headphones off and get a life. This area of music is so oversaturated! As technology advances can you really tell the amateur from the professional? Can you hear the difference in how they used the touch screen on a Vsynth XT? And most importantly do the people in charge of music placement really care?

Peace))))OUT!

Re: Digital Audio Perspective

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one can effect everyone in different ways, and is usually an eye opener for many.

However, with that being said, I disagree with a lot of your post.

First and foremost I write music, not just because of my hopes to one day be a composer, but because I LOVE music. I've tried to leave it, many times, but my love for music brings me back. I write music because...that's what I do...and I can't picture doing anything else. Even if only to please myself. If I have to I'll find a job doing something else, but music will always be there for me.

Your post, to me anyway, sounds like it came from someone who was seeking a quick buck at writing music. Some of your points are valid, some not. But it sounds like to me that you're saying, "Well I can't make money outta this so screw it!". Which is understandable for some reasons, but not a reason to give up on music completely (Which you may or may not be doing).

The royalty free music thing isn't really a valid point. Royalty free music isn't customized. I can download one loop but if I'm unhappy with it in anyway I'm screwed. Therefore I need a composer, or attempt to do it myself.

The rest of your points come with any creative profession you're seeking. All creative fields are highly competitive. Visual arts, music, it doesn't matter. It's just something you have to deal with and something you have to realize so that you can know what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd, then focus on what sets you apart so you can use it as a strength.

This, of course, is just my two cents.

In Harmony,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Teknoguitar
    Questions:

1. How many of you have paid off your investment in gear with income from your compostions?

2. Try a search on google for "royalty free music licensing"

3. How unbalanced is the ratio of composers who are writing music compared to the people who are looking for music?

4. How many gaming and production companies have their own "in house" music teams?

5. Does anyone know how much money software companies make?....NI, Spectrasonics etc...?

6. Do you think people in charge of placing music in games, tv, and film really know or care if you used a Waves L3 limiter on your master?...or if your track was done in Garage Band?

7. Have you ever been told by a producer that he "uses his brother in law for music and going to anyone else would make Thanksgiving dinner awakward".
    1. I have and will get much more in due time (have contracts running and get paid in Feb...)

2. No reason. I make specific music for specific points in specific games. If cheap game developers want to try royalty free music then ok, but my services will always be better than that (as with most composers).

3. Not too much. In the past 12 months I've had 7 calls for writting music in games. Some were free projects which I said yes, as the projects were ultra cool, some where paid projects and I certianly said yes, others were paid projects but sucked and said no, and others were free and just didn't matter so said no again.

4. Can't be too sure, but I do see a lot of companies wanting an out of the house composer, as it saves a lot of money. Music comes pretty much last in the development, so there is little need to have a composer sitting and wating for 6 months until his time comes to start working. But then again there are companies that make dozens of games a year and need a full-time composer in house... :-/ Can't be too dure... But why not enter an in house position? Is it that bad, if you want security?

5. No, but I have a hunch about revenues on EW (they had 3 group buys, which gave me the chance to see their sales on these 3 products. I reckon that they sold more than 2,500 products all priced at 500$, in 4 months. That makes 1,250,000$ in 4 months. Don't know the expenses at all! but sampling is sampling. You hire an orchestra, hire a dozen programers, get the equipment once and then the after expenses are tiny (only the DVDs and a booklet)).

6. No they don't care, but they certainly care (some of them) about the quality of the music they recive. I've had 1 person with a free project who was right about everything he was saying and giving me feedback on what I was doing, plus he was nit picking all the time, but he was right. Didn't matter to him what I used as long as I used it to make "correct" music!

7. Not sure I udnerstand that, but if his brother in law can make the music that I (and you) can then why not. If the brother in law can't, then it means that the producer doesn't know ~~~~, and that the project will suck audio wise. Am I wrong?

I am also sorry for hearing that you lost your father. It must be devasteting ,and I'm lucky to still have both my parents (and my parents in law as well, who I love also very much...)

but I agree with Ronin...

I know it takes patience, and I'm no where near where I would like to be, but still I have my hopes as I see my work being valued by many people, and getting respect for what I do is very rewarding (and of course the 2 contracts I have running at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Teknoguitar
    As technology advances can you really tell the amateur from the professional?
    I certainly can. And do most of the time.

But anyways, I can feel each and every line of your post. I totaly understand what you mean, and indeed it is a very competitive buisnes, as is every freelance buisnes.

Hi Technoguitar,
    I too am very sorry to hear of your loss. I understand how that feels. I just lost my baby recently. I also lost my father 2 years ago and it was devestating to me. Through his last gifts to me, I'm closer to fulfilling my dreams. Just having the technology to be able to hear (realistically) my music played by an orchestra is one of them. Another is that I've always dreamt of composing for a living. I don't yet, but have made some progress. It's very competitive and it's very easy to get discouraged. I feel discouraged a lot of the time. There's always going to be someone that has the edge on you - they are the one it seems to always get the job. It doesn't matter though, if you keep trying to do the best that you can, learn and continue to love making music nothing's lost but the $$. I do get the feeling that you intended to get into the biz for the quick buck. That's unfortunate. I hope that my impression is wrong. Back to my situation, I too have tried to give up on music in the past. I found that I felt lost and alone with out it. It's a part of me that I must not try to suppress. I guess that what I'm getting at ultimately is some of us will be able to make a living from our music and others will not. If music is important to you and your life, continue with it for your own sanity. If it's not that important to you, sell your stuff and move on. If you truly feel that you've wasted your time, the latter is probably your best option. My gut tells me though that you're just feeling down and depressed over your father's passing (which is completely NORMAL and UNDERSTANDABLE) and that maybe you should seek advice from clergy/therapists to help you deal with what you're feeling right now.
    Good Luck and take care,
    Steph

Very sorry to hear about your loss of your Dad, Teknoguitar. I hope you find good success in what you love to do and in everything you persue.

David

Go Back to forum