• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Strange pitch change effect with Strad 2.01

Share/Bookmark

Strange pitch change effect with Strad 2.01

Hi all,

The last couple of weeks, every time I visit this forum, I get a friendly reminder at the top of the page that I haven't posted in a while, and would I please consider doing that. Well, here goes:

Having just recently installed Strad v. 2 on my Mac G5, I'm starting to get the hang of the realtime controllers. Some practice is going to be needed, but I can already tell it's going to pay off. This is going to be fun for an old keyboard basher...

However.

There's something that sounds mighty strange to my untrained ears in the new 'lyrical' version 2.01. When I use my expression pedal (ctrl #11), I get strange pitch warblings, making the instrument sound (again, to my ears) like it was played by a beginner student with shaky hands.

OK, I discovered on p. 62 in the excellent manual that there is an intended pitch variation connected with the expression pedal, so it's probably something to do with that. But it does sound like it's gone haywire somehow, because even if I rock the pedal very slowly and very little, I get these abrupt pitch changes. And sometimes, the held note just switches off after some quiet back-and-forth rocking.

I checked my pedal output in MIDI Monitor (a Mac utility) and it goes quite smoothly from 1 to 126, jumping one discreet value here and there, like from 32 to 34, but generally seems OK.

If this is really the intended behaviour, I'm not quite hearing the benefit of it it as I perhaps ought to (there're no comparable artifacts in v.1.08) and would really appreciate some alternative keyswitches without this feature.

And on the subject of keyswitches, I noticed that while the instrument key range is marked in grey on the Kontakt player keyboard, the keyswitches are not indicated at all, at least not on the Mac version.

There, I've posted!

Best regards,

Joey

Re: Strange pitch change effect with Strad 2.01

Spitfire,

Someone else has reported this behavior. It seems to affect some Macs. Strange it happens only on the Lyrical Strad and not the Classic. We will look into this and see what the problems is.

If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know.

Best,

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the fast feedback. And thanks for confirming that my ears haven' quite fallen off...

/Joey

Spitfire,

Please email me giorgio.tommasini@tin.it.

We'll track and solve this bug

Giorgio

Hi Gary and Giorgio,
    I have this problem too. Like you say, it is just on the "Lyrical" violin. Happens in both Standalone and as plugin (VST/Cubase 4).

Mac "MDD" G4 dual 1 GHz | 1.75 GB RAM | Mac OS X 10.4.8
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

To help us identify this problem, can you let us know which version of OSX you are using and what sequencer/version number you are using? And format: VST, RTAS or Audio units.

As soon as we identify the problem we'll provide a fix ASAP.

Thanks all,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    To help us identify this problem, can you let us know which version of OSX you are using and what sequencer/version number you are using? And format: VST, RTAS or Audio units.
    Hello

I just received and installed the Stradivari and found the same behaviour. Macos 10.4.7. Logic 7.2.1, Kontakt 2.1.1 but it's the same with the Kontakt player.

Besides: I felt somehow uncomfortable when reading about that new #11 feature (even if it works properly) because I think the small pitch shifts depend so much on the player... there are masters that play simply crystal clearly all the time. maybe that would be worth another knob on the gui so that one can adjust the strength of the effect.

on the other hand I haven't heard it how it is meant to be yet.
    sorry about maybe funny english and
    best wishes Ulrich
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Thanks Ulrich for the feedback. This will helps. We'll investigate. This only affects the Lyrical version. To hear how it is mean to be load the 1.08 Classical patch.

Gary Garritan

Also, Can those MAc owners experiencing no problems let us know about your system and sequencers.

Thanks,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Hi Gary,

Just got my copy today, and I'm having the same problem.

Logic Pro 7.2.2
    Mac G5 DP 2.5 Ghz
    OS 10.4.7

Works fine with 1.08.

Lee Blaske
    Thanks Lee,

So it seems. The PC is fine. 1.08 on a Mac is fine. Loading in the full version of Kontakt 2 is fine.

Version 2.01 in the Kontakt Player 2 on Mac OS X 10.4.7/8 is a problem.

This will help a great deal. Can other Mac users report?

Thanks

Gary

Go Back to forum