• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO percussion in finale question

Share/Bookmark

GPO percussion in finale question

I'm writing a piece in Finale. End result will be 5 staves: 4 woodwinds and 1 percussion. Some of the percussion sounds I want are in the GPO basic orchestral percussion patch; others are in the toys patch. Problem: switching between the two percussion patches while keeping it all on one staff. When I set up to switch patches via a MIDI channel change, the subsequent notation looks wrong. Is there a different/better way to achieve the desired result?

I asked this on the Finale forum but have received no replies. Maybe one of you can help?

thanks everybody

Rebecca

Re: GPO percussion in finale question

Don't know later Finale versions but:

For me the audio rendering (recording) and the score are 2 different things.

Make the score as beautiful as it gets, and print it. Save it as name(pr).mus and you're done.

Then go to the percussion staff, do all the changes you need without having to worry about the looks, heck even add 3-4 different staffs if you feel like it, and make the mp3.

Does this help at all?

not a very scientific response and definately not what you were looking for but it should work...

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca
    I'm writing a piece in Finale. End result will be 5 staves: 4 woodwinds and 1 percussion. Some of the percussion sounds I want are in the GPO basic orchestral percussion patch; others are in the toys patch. Problem: switching between the two percussion patches while keeping it all on one staff. When I set up to switch patches via a MIDI channel change, the subsequent notation looks wrong. Is there a different/better way to achieve the desired result?
    Hi Rebecca,

Why don't you assign one layer (say #1) to Basic Orch Perc on a channel and the other layer (say #2) to Perc Toys on another channel. Window->Intrument List->Expand the little arrow near the staff name, giving access to individual channel/layer. It should work fine.

RP.

Hi Robert,

there used to be a problem to get Human Playback to interpret more than one channel per staff. Has this been fixed in F07?

or assign the regular percussion to one channel, and the toy percussion to another, make an invisible expression that will change channels back and forth.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying Robert's at the moment.
    If I go Staff Attributes > (notation style = percussion) > select
    takes me to the percussion map selection. But I can only choose one map! How do I tell it that I want more than one map available for that staff?

The notes I've used so far that aren't on the chosen map are showing up headless. Ideas?

I have F'07 but am using '06 till they (or I) get the printing nightmares sorted out.

Rebecca

I have F'07 but am using '06 till they (or I) get the printing nightmares sorted out.Rebecca
    Printing nightmares??????? What printing nightmares? Nobody told me about F07 printing nightmares... I've got Finale 2007, too. Does that mean I'm going to have nightmares????? And it being so close to halloween! I don't need anymore nightmares.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Hi everyone,

takes me to the percussion map selection. But I can only choose one map! How do I tell it that I want more than one map available for that staff?
    Rebecca,

You can change the percussion map with a staff style.

The notes I've used so far that aren't on the chosen map are showing up headless. Ideas?
    I suppose you need to customize the perc map by yourself... good luck! Do it once and then use it for whatever other score, using libraries.

Nickie: I don't think there is any problem to use 2 channels of percussive instruments on the same staff. The problem is with numerous continuous data (mod, vol, pitchbend).

Cheers
    RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Rebecca,

You can change the percussion map with a staff style.

Hi Nickie,

Sorry to be obtuse. I know how to define and apply staff styles, but if (for example) I want to go from snare (on basic orch patch) to cowbell (on toy patch), in my piece, both would use the same staff style. Where, or how, in the staff styles dialogue boxes, do I tell it to change from one percussion map to another?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Go Back to forum