• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fee for 1 minute of MIDI music?

Share/Bookmark

Fee for 1 minute of MIDI music?

I have been asked to compose 1 minute of General MIDI music for a cell phone game. The hiring company is large and well established, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a reasonable rate for 1 minute of music in a scenario like this.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Fee for 1 minute of MIDI music?

Quote Originally Posted by pootayjj
    I have been asked to compose 1 minute of General MIDI music for a cell phone game. The hiring company is large and well established, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a reasonable rate for 1 minute of music in a scenario like this.

Thanks for any input!
    This is really going to depend on your mad mobile composition skills and the quality of your music. How long does it take you to compose, and what other things do you have to provide? Different polyphony amounts, OTT, RTTL.

Will you be handing over rights, is it conversion on existing copyright material, do you get royalties.. etc.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Based on all I have read, I don't think it would be a stretch to ask for $400 per minute of composed music, and then negotiate from there. If they say no, just try to be flexible and include something in the agreement regarding bonuses for every 10,000 units sold or something. You can ask the publisher what their break even point is and you can ask to have bonuses if the game reaches other systems. This justifies taking lower than 400 from an established publisher, in my view. It covers you in case the game hits big and they use your music in other formats, or if it just sells a whole lot
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Hi,
    I've worked as a full-time composer for about 8 years now and I think $400.00 is extremely low.
    Don't quote a figure,keep asking about the budget,believe me they have a figure in mind but they want to see if you are going to ask for less.
    (A composer on another forum asked the same question,he then held out for the budget and was offered alot more)

I've also done this and I was always offered more than I was going to quote,especially starting out.
    under pricing yourself won't earn you any respect even from the client paying the bill and because you set such a low standard of pay it will be difficult to justify asking for more if you ever work with them again in the future.

Dean.

1000 USD per minute for high quality work.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

What about in the case of a small startup indie developer? I know of a case where a composer was willing to do $100 per minute of music.

In a way, I do feel for the small indie guys, because they can't afford to pay much (or sometimes anything), but they really want to get their name out there by producing a modest but highly addictive game. These guys can't even afford to get their games into retail store, and can only use online subscription as the sole distribution method.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    What about in the case of a small startup indie developer? I know of a case where a composer was willing to do $100 per minute of music.

In a way, I do feel for the small indie guys, because they can't afford to pay much (or sometimes anything), but they really want to get their name out there by producing a modest but highly addictive game. These guys can't even afford to get their games into retail store, and can only use online subscription as the sole distribution method.
    Then they could at least give a share of the profit later.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Heh, in a perfect world, yes.

They have a budget of 40k for the art assets, and $500 for 5 minutes of music (they said they don't want music during gameplay, just for the intro/menu screens). This is a typical case of developers thinking that music isn't all that important.

Hey all!
    I bought Aaron marks book and it says for people starting in game industry with average experience that starting price per min would be around 300$.
    The book was written in 2001, what do you think ?
    If a company is asking my via mail additional informations about my salary demands, do I answer how much I charge or I should ask before different things bout length,styles,etc. ?
    Thanks for your answers !

Hey Lixer,
    there was an hour long game conference audio track posted here somewhere,maybe someone could locate it for you.
    (it mentions rates for games,something like $800.00 to $1600.00 per min.)

C'mon guys help him out.

Dean.

Go Back to forum