• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO mod wheel vs Velocity question.

Share/Bookmark

GPO mod wheel vs Velocity question.

I've forgotten (actually, I've never really known for sure) which GPO instruments use the mod wheel for volume and which use velocity? Where do I find the complete list on when to use modulation vs velocity?
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: GPO mod wheel vs Velocity question.

The manual, of course!

Offhand, I think most of your percussion instruments take velocity, anything plucked, hit, or strummed (pizz strings, harps, harpsichords, keyboards, glass harmonica, glock, vibes, xylo, celeste, etc).

The organ is a modwheel one, as the wind machine.

In general, it's the difference between "expressive" instruments and "percussive" instruments. Sustained instruments, like winds and strings, fall primarily into the "expressive" category because the tones created with the instruments sustain, ebb, and flow through a stream of air or a drawing of bow. Piano and most percussion instruments fall into the "percussive" category because they are "strike and decay" type instruments. Expressive instruments use mod wheel, percussive instruments use velocity. Keep in mind that some techniques (like string pizzicato) are in the percussive category, being strike and decay, even though the other techniques on the same instrument are expressive; so, pizz would be controlled by velocity.

As to specifics, the manual contains a Directory of Instruments that lists all instruments and their controllers. Some industrious users have also posted controller assignment reference charts in the past. You might try doing a search on NS to see if you can locate those.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    The manual, of course!
    Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I know, because I forgot where I put it. Man, just try doing a search of my work area at home. Not an easy task, I'm telling you.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

But seriously, thanks for the info. Will have to go back and find that manual soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I Keep in mind that some techniques (like string pizzicato) are in the percussive category, being strike and decay, even though the other techniques on the same instrument are expressive; so, pizz would be controlled by velocity.Tom
    This explains why I can never get my pizz. strings to behave properly. They keep picking on each other!

Go Back to forum