• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-trying out my GPO (Impressed this time) some questions

Share/Bookmark

Re-trying out my GPO (Impressed this time) some questions

Ok so my second post in this forum.

So times are a changing for me, switched over to Logic from DP and it is opened my eyes to many new things. Playing with my GPO really for the first time, and I really like the expression tool idea with the mod wheel for shaping. I have one of those wheels, Edirol controller, that starts at nothing so I have to hold my hand there but whatever. My questions:

1) I have solo clarinet loaded. I want to get some vibrato on this at my discresion. how do i do this? The mod wheel is allready taken up.

2) What other controllers are you all using that I might not be aware of?

thanks gary

Re: Re-trying out my GPO (Impressed this time) some questions

Oh i also forgot, my flute patch seems to click sometimes when i change notes. How do i fix that?

I've been re-reading the manual alot lately as I just got a new controller because I was missing most of the features of GPO.
    Each instrument has different properties and controllers hidden ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Key Clicks, Players taking a breath, Breath noise, Random Intontation, Random Tone variations.

Clarinet triggers Vibrato from Aftertouch (does your COntroller have aftertouch?) and the Vib rate is controlled by another CC.

You really need a controller that has LOTS of faders/knobs (two expression pedals can be handy).

I have an M Audio Aiom and it is polluted with extra knobs/pads and faders.

jmp

Quote Originally Posted by The Sinner
    Ok so my second post in this forum.

So times are a changing for me, switched over to Logic from DP and it is opened my eyes to many new things. Playing with my GPO really for the first time, and I really like the expression tool idea with the mod wheel for shaping. I have one of those wheels, Edirol controller, that starts at nothing so I have to hold my hand there but whatever. My questions:

1) I have solo clarinet loaded. I want to get some vibrato on this at my discresion. how do i do this? The mod wheel is allready taken up.

2) What other controllers are you all using that I might not be aware of?

thanks gary
    Sinner,
    Some Edirol controllers are sometimes difficult because of their funky mod/pitch wheel. I never could quite get the hang of it with my Edirol PCR.
    For vibrato control for the clarinet, assign cc#17 to one of the sliders and you should be able to get vibrato for the clarinet. John is right about there being "controllers hidden ALL OVER THE PLACE" (even moreso in JABB and STRAD). Take a look at page 68 in the manual for the controller guide. Hope this helps.

Gary

Sinner,
    I use an Edirol as my primary controller too. I've found I can bypass the modwheel by assigning one of the sliders to handle CC1 mod data, just as Gary recommends you do with CC17 (aftertouch). Just boot up that Edirol PCR Editor utility, do a little tweaking to make the controllers ergonomically friendly, and export to the PCR.

I'm a fan of reassigning Slider 6 to Modwheel, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    I've been re-reading the manual alot lately as I just got a new controller because I was missing most of the features of GPO.
    Each instrument has different properties and controllers hidden ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Key Clicks, Players taking a breath, Breath noise, Random Intontation, Random Tone variations.

Clarinet triggers Vibrato from Aftertouch (does your COntroller have aftertouch?) and the Vib rate is controlled by another CC.

You really need a controller that has LOTS of faders/knobs (two expression pedals can be handy).

I have an M Audio Aiom and it is polluted with extra knobs/pads and faders.

jmp
    ...I must have missed that, are you sure that this feature is in gpo and not in the bigband-library....

Doh....

You're right Giga. Most of that is in JABB.

BUT I had never messed with Portamento and the Vari knobs in GPO at all. They all have to be kept at very low settings to kep them from getting too wacky, but the subtley is nice.

The strange thing that happened to me is that I installed the Update a long time ago (right when it came out) but for some reason my Patches didn't get updated!

I didn't even know about some of the new versions of instruments until a few weeks ago.

jmp

Go Back to forum