• Register
  • Help

Topic: Website Feedback

Share/Bookmark

Website Feedback

Hello Everyone,

I'm inching ever closer to getting my home studio setup. My goal was to launch my website and start sharing all my music ('bout time huh) by the end of the year and things are looking good.

The new machine is on the way, the final sample library I need is (well should) be also on the way. Now I'm turning my focus to actually getting the website up and running.

I have absolutly no design sense when it comes to the web so I'd love some feedback from all you great people.

http://beta.musicbyjpg.com

It's a freebe template I'm sure you've seen 1000 times but I'm going for simplistic and functional. I know nothing about graphics so there's not much in that department. Is there anything you guys think I'm missing? Is the color scheme ok? All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

P.S. Yes that's me @ 2 years old
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Website Feedback

Hi JP,
    nothing against simplicity, but honestly the template you've choosen looks a little bit to simple ;-)
    If you like, I could do all the design/programming for you - for FREE, of course - I just love to kick pixels around ;-)
    I don't have my own website up and running at the moment, but if you are interested, please contact me at theiss2003@aol.com
    Please add some information about what type of music you're doing, so I will know which pictures/illustrations to use.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by theiss2003
    Hi JP,
    nothing against simplicity, but honestly the template you've choosen looks a little bit to simple ;-)
    If you like, I could do all the design/programming for you - for FREE, of course - I just love to kick pixels around ;-)
    I don't have my own website up and running at the moment, but if you are interested, please contact me at theiss2003@aol.com
    Please add some information about what type of music you're doing, so I will know which pictures/illustrations to use.

Seb
    Hello Seb,

Thank you for the comments and the offer. I can understand how it looks too simple... but then that's also what I'm going for. No fancy flashing graphics, complicated layouts, or "bling". Just simple and straight forward.

I'm interested in what kind of changes you were thinking of? Were you thinking of moving something on the page, changing the presentation (layout, color scheme, etc.). Contents? I'm definitly open for some suggestions.

Most of the music on the site would fall under the classical umbrella.
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

I have several websites (see www.lacomposers.com for my composer site, which is still under development). What you must first determine is the purpose of the site. Are you for business? Are you a fan site? Are you for friends and family?

If you're for business, then consider these points:

1) Don't get cute with family shots. Show your picture instead.

2) Keep the site fast moving. People who want to spend money with you should have their time managed well. A well organized fast moving site communicates that message subliminally.

3)Music Hall and SoundClick are confusing to me. DEMOS.

4) Kill links and replace with NEWS.

The site should reflect you and your skills. Mine is uniquely designed to show that I write books, music and produce dramatic works that I also score.

Some fellows have posted what's in their studio. Some show pictures of their studios. I opted not to do that, especially listing libraries I own, because most producers don't know what they are by name anyway. Since I moved, I'm also still making connections!

You should check out the sites in the Power User section. One thing to consider, is that many composers, to be "cool" like to use a black background with white lettering. Others like to use a lot of Flash to do a little show when entering the site. Readership studies show that white on a black background has a low readership level (look up Starch Reports on Google). The exciting flash sites, for me, only delay getting people to hear your music and see your current projects, especially if someone has to come back to your site repeatedly. Just consider that your web site is your online business office.

Blessings.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Thanks for the reply Peter. All great comments.

I guess I should clarify. I'm purely a hobbiest . I don't plan at all to write music as a means of income. Thus everything on the site is free and just my place to share everything I write. Hence the "Music Hall" rather than a "Demo" page. The goal of the site is to create a place to share all the music I write, not to get any business. (not that I'd turn down an offer though hehe).

1) Hehe, that's one of the only pictures I have of me on my computer... I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I'll put a more recent picture of myself if I can get a good one.

2) While I'm not looking for people to spend money on me, I do want the site to be fast moving. No into page. No complicated nested pages. That's one reason I put the music link at the very top. People will come to the site to hear my music so I want them to get there quickly.

3) I see what you mean about the Soundclick link. Everything on the music page will link there anyway so I think I'll take that one off. I don't want to call it Demos though because it's not a business. It's the area where I will share everything I write. Any suggestions for a different name?

4) All the news will be on the first page ... I have the Links there because I want to have a page linking back to places like Northern Sounds ... I never really liked the name "Links" though so I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the great comments! They are very helpful for fine tuning everything. Your comments will also be very helpful if I ever choose to make the site more professional in an attempt to generate some income.

But for now, just trying to keep it a simple and fun place to share my compositions
    JP Garbarini

When in doubt.. keep it simple.!

...Looks good to me. Simple and clean.

If the sole purpose is an area to showcase your latest stuff for friends, family, and on a Forum such as this, then it works well..

If you're promoting, or job hunting.. ie: posting resumes, etc.. then you may need to modify a bit... otherwise, it's just fine!

nice site!

~Jeff

peter269, your site is very fast. i love it. Could you tell me how you do it? Macromedia Shockwave. Could I see your other sites? I want to do a site soon and want ideas and how to make a flash site like yours and FAST. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Deak
    peter269, your site is very fast. i love it. Could you tell me how you do it? Macromedia Shockwave. Could I see your other sites? I want to do a site soon and want ideas and how to make a flash site like yours and FAST. Thanks!
    Thanks for the compliment. Our site was done by www.toogoodstudios.com in the Dallas area.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Hi JP!
    The website is good, but I would add some design oriented to the look that you want to show others about you and your work.
    I like it because it is simple, that is very important as well. You have to know that once you start with your website you never finish it!! ...I still have to translate mine to English...
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Yeah, I'm starting to jump on the "too simple" bandwagon.

Part of the problem is I'm not great a doing graphics. I guess I could go with a portal solution (one of the PHP ones) which have plenty of design templates. Anything that is simple to update/change and is not graphics heavy (need that bandwidth for music hehe).

While I like what I have now... there's just something about it which doesn't work.

Well, back to the drawing board
    JP Garbarini

Go Back to forum