• Register
  • Help

Topic: An interesting approach to purchasing Software

Share/Bookmark

An interesting approach to purchasing Software

I own several Plugins from www.ursplugins.com

They offer lots of different options one of which is RENTAL. Your rentals build up towards the Purchase price. They can be weekly or monthly and don't have to be consecutive.

They use the iLok Dongle protection scheme. You can carry a dongle with you and use your software on other systems very easily.

Re: An interesting approach to purchasing Software

That is pretty kewl idea. Might beat using a credit card
    www.energiestudios.com

It beats a credit card in that there is no interest AND you aren't committed to buy everything you are renting.

Imagine if Quantum Leap or VSL had a rental system....QL kind if approaches the issue by offering different Levels (Silver, Gold, Platinum etc)

There's a computer game service called "GameTap" (IIRC...) that does the same kind of thing. For $60-ish per year, you get to download all the games you want, from Pac-Man to new stuff, but it'll only work as long as you're a subscriber to their service.

Microsoft is very, very interested in this "rental/lisence" approach, so that rather than buying MS software outright, you have to RENT it. (Pay per use? Pay per year?) They're working on it. It'll be a big way to cut piracy, theoretically.

http://www.gametap.com/home/jsps/features_overview.jsp <- to see how it works.

Pretty iteresting idea.... best part of it all, you've paid for a year's service. If you don't like a game you've tried - delete it! You're not out anything! Sure better than buying a program only to find you hate it!

(Ala, NI's Banstand I wasted my money on - grumble...)
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Dongels can cause lots of problems with Windows (especially if you have several products that use them or you upgrade frequently). I won't have any software that uses them on my system.

Allowing MS to raise your cost of computing without offering any new functionality is the worst idea I've heard yet. (Because that's what renting an OS amounts to.) I heard Windows Vista will allow you to authorize it only twice. This is very BAD. I've had previous versions of Windows crash and become corrupt often enough that they required more than two clean installs. (Often the problem is a bad third party driver or app. Especially audio and video stuff that directly accesses hardware.)

MS completely dominates the PC market. You'd think that would keep a lid on this type of greed. Ironically, this kind of thing is probably what it will take to convince fence sitters to take a chance on OSX or UNIX and end up hurting MS most in the long run. (The stumbling block, as always, is with 3rd party app and driver support. Many companies -- especially small ones -- can't make enough money from Mac users to make it worth the effort to develop a version for them.)

I am not a Mac advocate, by any means. I have both Macs and PCs and support both for my clients. I think Windows is by far the better platform, but screwing around with their licensing is a major strike against them. What are small businesses supposed to do if an employee screws up one of their machines and has to install Windows again? Spend $300 for a retail copy and get only 2 more installs? It will be even worse if MS starts renting Windows. As it is now, if you don't have the money to buy new pcs or upgrade to the next version of Windows, you can continue using what you've got until you can afford it. If it's licensed, you've got to pay MS every year or stop using your machines. My smallest clients will hang onto XP forever (and, yes, some of them will switch to Macs when they need to replace their computers) rather than go for something like this. It's a major headache for consultants and anyone who is providing tech support.

I've been working with PCs for over 20 years. I've seen this happen again and again. A company gets too big and sows the seeds of its own distruction with greed -- pure and simple. No, I don't think MS will ever go under. I think they'll always be a major player. But if it keeps going in the direction it has been going, I don't think it can stay the near monoploy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Microsoft is very, very interested in this "rental/lisence" approach, so that rather than buying MS software outright, you have to RENT it. (Pay per use? Pay per year?) They're working on it. It'll be a big way to cut piracy, theoretically.
    It won't cut piracy. It gives the hackers a bigger challenge that they will eventually break.

You really don't buy software anyway, just a license to use it.

I'm not sure this would be the best way for MS. The open source community would welcome it so they can gain some more ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ejr

I've been working with PCs for over 20 years. I've seen this happen again and again. A company gets too big and sows the seeds of its own distruction with greed -- pure and simple. No, I don't think MS will ever go under. I think they'll always be a major player. But if it keeps going in the direction it has been going, I don't think it can stay the near monoploy it is.
    ONLY the consumer can change that.

""Dongels can cause lots of problems with Windows (especially if you have several products that use them or you upgrade frequently). I won't have any software that uses them on my system""

I don't love them...but all Steinberg and Digidesign Software requires them. iLok works quite well AFTER YOU FIGURE OUT!!!! (Boy that was a huge Pain!)

My main point it this:
    Let's say you get a $1K job doing some tracks for a jingle. You could rent the entire Quantum Leap library for the job. In between big jobs you could just have access to the "Silver" Library.

This would allow you to have the whole library when you really need it and eventually it would be paid for. Quantum could continue to create new instruments/libraries and develop Brand loyalty.

jmp

All of us don't work that way. Some of us have whole other careers (I have two of them!) Composing is something I do when I have the time. I have three pcs that I would have to license every year. A big expense that I don't have now. I upgrade when I have the money. I decide when to spend it, not MS. Now if they come out with some great new version of Windows that super compatible with all my existing hardware, I may feel that I've just got to have it and spend the bucks. That's the way it should work. If it doesn't you kill the incentive for them to innovate.

Allowing MS to raise your cost of computing without offering any new functionality is the worst idea I've heard yet.
    Corporate customers LOVE subscriptions, for the same reason they love to lease cars: they can predict costs over upcoming years much more accurately, always have access to the latest technology, and never have to depreciate the investment on their accounting books.

For consumers, I expect lots of companies (including MS) to experiment with subscriptions, but standard retail licenses are not going away anytime soon.

I heard Windows Vista will allow you to authorize it only twice.
    You heard wrong. What you can't do is install it on more than 2 computers. You can install it on the same machine as many times as you want. And the rules that govern what counts as "the same machine" are pretty liberal (you can swap out virtually every component).

That's for the retail license, of course. OEM licenses are tied to 1 machine like they always have been.

Go Back to forum