• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Advice re: EZDrummer/Groove Agent 3 or DrumCore

Share/Bookmark

Need Advice re: EZDrummer/Groove Agent 3 or DrumCore

Hi All

I'm a composer, not a drummer. :-) I have no clue what to do with a set of drums, but I do know what I want to hear.

I would like to get a drum program and am considering one of the following: EZDrummer, Groove Agent 3 or DrumCore.

I need something with an intuitive interface that can give me immediate drum satisfaction! LOL

Any thoughts, recommendations on these products?

Thanks!
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Need Advice re: EZDrummer/Groove Agent 3 or DrumCore

Quote Originally Posted by ChoralBoss
    Hi All

I'm a composer, not a drummer. :-) I have no clue what to do with a set of drums, but I do know what I want to hear.

I would like to get a drum program and am considering one of the following: EZDrummer, Groove Agent 3 or DrumCore.

I need something with an intuitive interface that can give me immediate drum satisfaction! LOL

Any thoughts, recommendations on these products?

Thanks!
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    What sort/type of music do you want it for?

Hi Ron, From one non-drummer to another, I'd have to say give them all a try, there does not seem to be a one size fits all here. I went through a similar adventure not too terribly long ago, and so I share my thoughts. Starting with what I ended up with - I use the Toontrack DFHs as my drum sampler, and Rayzoon Jamstix and MusicLab Slicy-Drummer/Fillin-Drummer to create patterns. It is not quite as elegent as I might have liked, but it does provide some serious flexibilty, and I don't see myself outgrowing it anytime soon. Jamstix is intuitive and provides nearly instant gratification, the same is not quite true for DFHs, but it's a matter of degree... you can load in one of their default kits, and you'll be pretty pleased. As you use it more you'll start tweaking, and then it gets a bit more involved. It is VERY capable. The same can probably be said for Jamstix, come to think of it, I'm probably only using 10% of it's power, but dang, that 10% gets you some very human sounding drum tracks! At the time there were really only two mega-drum libraries on the market, DFHs and BFD. Both sound great, and each has it's own special feature - BFD includes a pattern library and arranger that is really very easy to use, and DFH includes all the hand percussion instruments. For me, the percussion was more important than the patterns. I already had the Musiclab tools, and I still like them, but they are far from simple to use, and even many years later I still wrestle with them. Jamstix just works, so I added it to the arsenal and the Jamstix/DFHs combo is working really well for me. EZDrummer - there was an offer to existing DFHs owners when this was announced, so I took a look. If I did not own DFHs I would take a real hard look at it. It sounds nearly as good/real as DFHs, and it is a lot easier to use! Groove Agent 3 - I ruled this out for non-technical reasons. I'm not a big Steinberg fan, my experiences with their support have been spotty at best. DrumCore - I own this (guilty pleasure!) and I love it. I'm not real adept at working with audio loops, but I use this for scratch tracks all the time and find it very inspiring. I just wish I could use it for more... One alternative you did not mention is just using loops. Depending on your host, loop libraries might be a good instant gratification solution. Sonar and Acid (obviously) both support loop based composition, and probably the others do too. Have fun hunting, and if you can, spend some time with each before buying. Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Have a listen over here http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=11

guys there are doing great sounding things with EZ.

Peter

A little OT: do any of these come with MIDI drum parts? what I want are complete MIDI drum parts, full songs, w/intros, verses, fills, chorus, etc. played by a real drummer, no quantization, all the way through, by a pro drummer. What I don't want is a bunch of 2 bar patterns pasted and repeated and assembled in a sequencer. I want a midi 'recording' of a real drummer playing a full song.

Any of these products have this kind of thing? Or maybe a stand alone collection?

Thanks!

buzz

Hi Buzz,

Ezdrummer and its three first EZX expansion
    packs comprise roughly 30.000 midifiles
    altogether.

Andreas/Toontrack

Go Back to forum