• Register
  • Help

Topic: Announcing the Release of HOW RAVEL ORCHESTRATED: MOTHER GOOSE SUITE

Share/Bookmark

Announcing the Release of HOW RAVEL ORCHESTRATED: MOTHER GOOSE SUITE

Alexander Publishing proudly announces the release of its 8.5 x 14 200-page book/score/CD package of HOW RAVEL ORCHESTRATED: MOTHER GOOSE SUITE
    http://www.truespec.com/ravel-orches...ite-p-410.html

Includes:
    • newly engraved oversized 8.5 x 14 score with condensed two-hand piano part at page bottom (so you can see how Ravel orchestrated)
    • licensed Naxos Recording of the complete work recorded by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kenneth Jean
    • each Mother Goose short story (not nursery rhyme) each movement is based on
    • orchestration analysis following each work
    • examination of devices used in dramatic scoring
    • How Ravel Worked
    • bonus COLORIZED PDF score of each movement showing orchestral devices used by Ravel
    Alexander Publishing’s How Ravel Orchestrated: Mother Goose Suite is a breakthrough in orchestration instruction. For the first time ever, an American publishing company has completely re-engraved the classic work with the condensed piano part at page bottom in an oversized 8x14 format packaged with a complete Naxos Recording of Mother Goose Suite by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kenneth Jean. Said American Record Guide about this performance, "This is a treasurable collection excellently conducted by Kenneth Jean."

For fast referencing, each bar is numbered at the bottom of the page (original rehearsal marks are also included).

By including the piano part at page bottom, you can easily see specific counterpoint devices that Ravel used, where, and how he orchestrated them. Using standard chord symbol notation, you'llll also see how Ravel composed and orchestrated using altered DOM7 chords, mixolydian chord scales, triads with the added 9th, four-part divisi voicing in the strings, and more.

Second, How Ravel Orchestrated: Mother Goose Suite is a good read. Preceding each movement is the complete short story that movement was based on. Now you can look at Mother Goose Suite to better understand the dramatic composition and scoring techniques that went into each work. By comparing back to the original story, you can gain a better of understand of Ravel’s approach to scoring such moods as stateliness, unsure ness, animal effects without synthesizers, romantic anxiety, joy, emotional rising without the basses, happily ever after, and much more.

Following each movement is a brief orchestration analysis based on the Eight Keys To Learning Professional Orchestration as taught in the Professional Orchestration Series. Simply put, there has never been a practical analysis like this before, written in an engaging, accessible read/apply style for the, “working composer.”

Supporting the 8 Keys analysis are two extra copies of Mother Goose Suite in PDF format that you can download. The first extra score is an exact duplicate of the original so you can mark on it with notes and impressions. The second, again for the first time, is a color coded version graphically illustrating how Ravel orchestrated.

Third, How Ravel Orchestrated: Mother Goose Suite goes beyond traditional analysis by including two literary works by Poe which greatly impacted Ravel, The Poetic Principle and The Philosophy of Composition. Also included is a brief on Ravel’s method of working. This is a dream book/CD package for any composer, arranger or fan of Ravel.

NB: Customers lacking down fast download connections can order the color coded scores on CD for $10US plus shipping.

http://www.truespec.com/ravel-orches...ite-p-410.html
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: Announcing the Release of HOW RAVEL ORCHESTRATED: MOTHER GOOSE SUITE

Wow! This looks fantastic! I'll be sure to purchase it next week when it ships. Thanks.

cheers,

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Quote Originally Posted by JamesIII
    Wow! This looks fantastic! I'll be sure to purchase it next week when it ships. Thanks.

cheers,

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    www.jameseakin.com
    Thanks James!

BTW, please PM at your earliest convenience. We have several texts for your film scoring program that could be useful, one of which is by Jack Smalley, head of the USC Film Composition with whom we're setting up summer clinics. We haven't posted Jack's book yet, but sometime this week. I studied privately with Jack and what's in his book everyone doing film scoring should have.

http://professionalorchestration.com...er-clinics.php

There's also this new book by my late "boss" Henry Mancini:
    http://www.truespec.com/case-history...rds-p-272.html

Finally, Professional Orchestration 2A which ships in November:
    http://www.truespec.com/professional...ume-p-409.html
    Peter L. Alexander

Peter, your PM box is full, so I'll just post here

Hello Peter

I teach film scoring at a college in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida). The Jack Smalley book sounds interesting, I think my wife had lessons off him at Dick Grove's. Please keep me updated on your releases.
    Cheers
    Brett Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Rosenberg
    Peter, your PM box is full, so I'll just post here

Hello Peter

I teach film scoring at a college in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida). The Jack Smalley book sounds interesting, I think my wife had lessons off him at Dick Grove's. Please keep me updated on your releases.
    Cheers
    Brett Rosenberg
    Thanks, Brett. I cleared out my mailbox. My apologies.

For instructors, please see www.professionalorchestration.com. All the books in the Professional Orchestration series are available for download including Writing For Strings (TM). I believe Jack did teach at Grove. He's head of Film Composition at the University of Southern California now and head of Jazz Composition at the Henry Mancini Institute.
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Thanks James!

BTW, please PM at your earliest convenience. We have several texts for your film scoring program that could be useful, one of which is by Jack Smalley, head of the USC Film Composition with whom we're setting up summer clinics. We haven't posted Jack's book yet, but sometime this week. I studied privately with Jack and what's in his book everyone doing film scoring should have.
    Actually, Jack Smalley teaches with me at the Aspen Music Festival. We used his new film scoring text last summer. His idea of using the circle, line, and square to aid in thematic development was great! He'll be back with us again this summer too. So, I already have the new text; however, for those of you that are interested in film scoring and currently do not have Jack's new book, then I highly recommend that you purchase this text. You'll be glad you did. By the way, another great text is from another colleague of mine at the Aspen Music Festival, Jeff Rona. His text, "The Reel World", is a "must have" book.

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    www.jameseakin.com

Quote Originally Posted by JamesIII
    Actually, Jack Smalley teaches with me at the Aspen Music Festival. We used his new film scoring text last summer. His idea of using the circle, line, and square to aid in thematic development was great! He'll be back with us again this summer too. So, I already have the new text; however, for those of you that are interested in film scoring and currently do not have Jack's new book, then I highly recommend that you purchase this text. You'll be glad you did. By the way, another great text is from another colleague of mine at the Aspen Music Festival, Jeff Rona. His text, "The Reel World", is a "must have" book.

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    www.jameseakin.com
    What's good about the circle/line/square approach is that it becomes a language of expression between the composer and the producer.
    Peter L. Alexander

Go Back to forum