• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vienna Instruments Questions

Share/Bookmark

Vienna Instruments Questions

I'm sure this has been debated but I have been drooling over the Vienna Instruments (heck, the whole Vienna catalog) ever since they first came out. To me, they seem to be the "Rolls Royce" of sampled orchestral instruments. When I watch the video demos on their new player it seems that it is by far the coolest way to breathe life into a sample set. Plus the sound of their instruments seems to be top drawer.

I currently own EWQL Gold and Gold Pro XP and love them. However, the solo strings, to me, are weak and the issue of portamento (a personal favorite of mine) is hard (almost impossible) to achieve.

I have a couple of questions for VI owners, hope you can help:

1) Are the standard libaries robust enough? For example, would the solo strings standard library give me the articulations that say Kirk Hunter's solo strings would give me? And ease of use, playability, sound?

2) Do you need a dongle for each library or can one dongle hold additional library licenses? (I don't have enough free USB ports!)

3) Are the VI's memory piggies?

As I mentioned above, this library has always been the "Holy Grail" to me from when it was fiest released. Am I "fanatsizing" this? Will I buy it and go "Hmmm"? Or will it be my muse

Any help would be apprecieated!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Vienna Instruments Questions

Hi Darren

1) I can't answer definitively since I'm not familiar with KH's stuff, and am an Extended user myself. However my guess would be that it atleast rivals in terms of articualtions and amount of data.

2) One dongle per computer, regardless of the number of collections

3) The VI is the most efficient, most inovative, and most well designed sample player ever created. You can load 3-4 times the amount of samples as you could in Giga Studio!

wonder if they are going to release an rtas version?
    www.energiestudios.com

Interesting. I run all my VI's rtas, quite a bit, and they seem to run fine. I do run 2 computers. I may look into alternate methods, to run vi's, if it seems better as you mentioned.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I don't know if you'd really want that. RTAS is basically flaky with third party stuff. If you're on the Mac OS, RTAS doesn't take advantage of the powerful kernel level audio and midi built into OSX. Instead, Digidesign writes one piece of code that's ported to both Mac and PC (not taking advantage of the strengths of either). Your best bet would be to set up a separate machine or two (either Mac or PC) and run the Vienna VI's inside a shell.

By far, it would be the most stable and powerful way to go.

Lee Blaske
    VSL has said that they are testing an RTAS version, but that it won't be released until the performance it achieves is acceptable. Don't hold your breath.....

Lee, are you talking about OSX on the legacy Macs or on the Intel ones? I only ask because I thought that kernel level meant underneath the operating system (like the drivers for Gigastudio), in which case there is no difference on the Intel Macs. If you have any information about all this do share, as I would like to know what all this actually means.

D

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I'm sure this has been debated but I have been drooling over the Vienna Instruments (heck, the whole Vienna catalog) ever since they first came out. To me, they seem to be the "Rolls Royce" of sampled orchestral instruments. When I watch the video demos on their new player it seems that it is by far the coolest way to breathe life into a sample set. Plus the sound of their instruments seems to be top drawer.

I currently own EWQL Gold and Gold Pro XP and love them. However, the solo strings, to me, are weak and the issue of portamento (a personal favorite of mine) is hard (almost impossible) to achieve.

I have a couple of questions for VI owners, hope you can help:

1) Are the standard libaries robust enough? For example, would the solo strings standard library give me the articulations that say Kirk Hunter's solo strings would give me? And ease of use, playability, sound?

2) Do you need a dongle for each library or can one dongle hold additional library licenses? (I don't have enough free USB ports!)

3) Are the VI's memory piggies?

As I mentioned above, this library has always been the "Holy Grail" to me from when it was fiest released. Am I "fanatsizing" this? Will I buy it and go "Hmmm"? Or will it be my muse

Any help would be apprecieated!

All the very best,

Darren
    I have both libraries. Both are different sounding and conceived differently including the philosophy of how articulations are created.

Follow this link for the articulations:
    http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/344/217.vsl

I do feel that the real action is with the standard and extended libraries. This is where you get the real expression opportunities.

One dongle holds additional licenses.

VI's aren't memory piggies, but like everything else, 2GB is best. There is also a /3GB switch that can be employed.

To take maximum advantage on a PC, you should get Forte from Brainspawn.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum