• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! Bizarre Symphonic Instrument problem!

Share/Bookmark

Help! Bizarre Symphonic Instrument problem!

So I just got MOTU's Symphonic instrument, and I loaded it in and when I try to open the application, a "window" opens, where the interface should be- but isn't. You can see through the window to the desktop screen. If I click around, some of the interface pieces show up, but not enough to do anything. In the upper left hand corner, there is a "File" pull down menu, which I can access. It doesn't change anything. I'm on a PC with an Athlon 3000 chip, 2 gigs of ram. Kontakt 2, Gigastudio 3, Cubase SL3, and many more plug ins work happily on my computer. I called tech support, and they thought it sounded like a video card driver problem. So I updated that. I've done a full windows update from microsoft, too. On the off chance there was something wrong with my DVD version, I downloaded the latest version of the software, even though my purchase came with it. Nada. What else can I do?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Help! Bizarre Symphonic Instrument problem!

Mark,

It definitely sounds like a video card problem. Try different settings with your display properties. Change the color quality (i.e. from 32bit to 16 bit) Go into the advanced tab and muck with the settings there as well. You may eben want to try installing an older version of your video card driver or calling the tech support people that manufacture the card.

I have had numerous graphic card issued over the years involving overlay planes and have managed to sort them out. Sometimes it took a new graphics card though....

Gotta love technology!

Good luck,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Thanks for your response. It is interesting to note that, in order to get the system requirements for Symphonic instrument, you have to do a search on the MOTU web site! Anyway- when you do, it specifies a open GL video card. It seems likely that the computer I have doesn't have that. (Computer is 3 years old and was not top-of-the-line then.) I haven't added a video card, but have been thinking about it to take advantage of a dual monitor system. Guess I'll try it, and then I'll post later today with results.

Thanks,

Mark

Confirmed- a video card problem. Bought a new, but cheap, card that also supports dual monitors for $50 and the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Mark

Go Back to forum