• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which sound card do you use?

Share/Bookmark

Which sound card do you use?

Hi all, which low-latency sound card are you using with Kontakt 1/2? I'm currently using the nForce2 onboard audio which has good ASIO support. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer to a Core 2 Duo but most motherboards do not have built-in ASIO drivers. I may have to get something like the M-Audio DELTA Audiophile 2496 with the computer upgrade if ASIO4ALL doesn't work.

Re: Which sound card do you use?

I'm not sure but i think that K2 works with pretty much every soundcard out there, at leats i don't remember reeding anything to the contrary.

The 2496 is fine if you're hobbyist, but if you plan to turn pro...you might want to pay a little more and go 192 which has 1/4 balanced in/out.

I tried Asio4All on my net Pc and it didn't work , i wanted to turn my net Pc in to a synth...Did it ever work for you?

It would be best to get a soundcard and use onboard sound for something like games.

An AP2496 and EMU 0404 are under $100 and a good use of Froogle you can get them for $79.

I've turned my net pc into a part time DAW by adding a soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I'm not sure but i think that K2 works with pretty much every soundcard out there, at leats i don't remember reeding anything to the contrary.

The 2496 is fine if you're hobbyist, but if you plan to turn pro...you might want to pay a little more and go 192 which has 1/4 balanced in/out.

I tried Asio4All on my net Pc and it didn't work , i wanted to turn my net Pc in to a synth...Did it ever work for you?
    Thank you for the response. I assumed that if you want to have low latency, you should get a soundcard and driver that support ASIO. Is this the case or not? Actually now that you mentioned it, I switched the soundcard interface in Kontakt2 from ASIO to DirectSound, and the latency can still be set as low as 7ms (vs 2ms in ASIO mode). Can non-ASIO sound cards offer similar latency levels in DirectSound as well?

Could you explain the benefits of "balanced in/out"? From the product page it says "balanced analog I/O", but right now I'm just working with digital samples and not recording live music. What I'm concerned about is that the computer will record MIDI notes from the keyboard faithfully; would there be an advantage with going the 192 in this case?

ASIO4ALL works on my machine but I just use the default driver to avoid any problems. I understand that ASIO4ALL doesn't work on every computer.

Delta 1010
    Jim

P4, 3.4 ghz, XP Pro SP2, 2 gig ram

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Thank you for the response. I assumed that if you want to have low latency, you should get a soundcard and driver that support ASIO.
    Yes. Keep in mind that some cards like M-Audo and Echo come with excellent WDM drivers as well.

Go Back to forum