• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO on multiple PCs. Will I need multiple licenses?

Share/Bookmark

GPO on multiple PCs. Will I need multiple licenses?

I'm just starting to investigate the idea of having multiple instances of
    GPO on multiple computers (connected via something like ADAT Lightpipe,
    MIDIoverLan, or FX-Teleport).

I already own GPO. Will there be a license issue if I want to install it on
    other computers in my own studio?

thank you, klassical

Re: GPO on multiple PCs. Will I need multiple licenses?

My question seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Can anyone enlighten me about multiple GPOs and licenses?

thanks, Klassical

A GPO purchase comes with two authorizations. That is, you can install and run two copies of GPO from a single license/serial number simultaneously. The authorizations are managed from the NativeInstruments site. If you wish to move GPO to a different computer, you simply deactivate the authorization to one system (if you already have two GPO authorizations,erm, authorized), install GPO on the new system, and authorize that new system. A word of caution, however (and "the rub" in NI authorization protocol): Once you deactivate GPO, or any other NI-authorized product from a particular system, IT WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN on that system. EVER.

<<Once you deactivate GPO, or any other NI-authorized product from a particular system, IT WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN on that system. EVER.>>

Ouch...really? That seems inexcusable to me (as I own LOADS of NI stuff). If I go work on another system for a few months I should be able to transfer my Licenses and then 'take them back' when I come home.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    <<Once you deactivate GPO, or any other NI-authorized product from a particular system, IT WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN on that system. EVER.>>

Ouch...really? That seems inexcusable to me (as I own LOADS of NI stuff). If I go work on another system for a few months I should be able to transfer my Licenses and then 'take them back' when I come home.
    Yeah, I nearly wiped K2 from my computer forever. Thank goodness I read the deactivation guide. I've copied and pasted the relevant section from http://www.native-instruments.com/in...protection_us# below:

Quote Originally Posted by The Native Instruments website
    Managing Registrations/Authorizations (and deactivating a hardware profile)

New: Via the link "Manage Registrations/ Authorizations" on the registration page you can see all your registrations at once. If you have also registered a product with the "Registration Tool", you can also manage your authorizations. You have the ability to deactivate (disable) one or more of your hardware profiles so that you can then authorize the software on a new or newly configured computer. Please be careful when deactivating, because this action cannot be undone!

Background:
    NI products with the new authorizations system can be authorized on a maximum of two computers (i.e. two hardware profiles) – for example one desktop and one laptop. The NI authorization system will therefore give you only two “Authorization Keys”.

The hardware profile changes if you buy a new computer or replace some of the basic components on an existing one. This makes an additional authorization necessary.

If you have already used the two original authorizations, you can deactivate a hardware profile that you are no longer using/no longer need.

You can complete the deactivation yourself via the link "Manage Registrations/Authorizations" on the NI registration page. Once you have successfully deactivated a hardware profile, a new authorization becomes free for you to use on the new/reconfigured computer. Please note that the deactivated hardware profile cannot be used again. This means you will not be able to authorize the product again on a computer with a deactivated hardware profile. According to the license agreement the product may not under any circumstances be used on a computer with a deactivated profile.

wow, and then companies wonder why people go out of their way to "crack" and pirate software!
    while I understand the need for copyprotection, this really seems draconian.

Actually, you can re-authorize any number of times. Once you reach the limit for authorizations, there is a manintenance option you can go to to clear out the old ones. I've forgotten the exact sequence of steps, but I was able to figure it out from what is on the NI web site (which is where the authorization happens.) It was not easy to figure out, though. Very counter-intuitive -- which is why I hate the whole NI authorization scheme.

I usually replace my DAW hardware every year. In the last two years I have had a string of bad pcs (5 or 6 of them) that had to be returned and replaced. I had to reformat hard drives and reinstall Windows (and all my applications) many times, when diagnosing the problems. So I had to re-authorize NI Kompakt, Kontakt 2, GPO and JABB way past the supposed limit. It would be absurd for NI to do anything that would prevent you from upgrading your hardware. They don't make it easy. But I think that is just because everything they do is needlessly complicated and counterintuitive.

As for whether you can have any of these products running on two machines simulatenously -- I don't know what the offical policy is. For most software, it is one machine and one machine only. However, most video NLEs (and screenwriting software) allow you to install on two machines if you are not using them simultaneously. (The idea being that you could work in the studio on a workstation and then take it to the set on a laptop when you are on location.) You should check with NI to get the official policy.

Go Back to forum