• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions about Sonic Implants String Collection

Share/Bookmark

Questions about Sonic Implants String Collection

Hello All,

I know I could probably email Sonivox about this but you guys are such a great resource (and faster to boot).

I'm looking at the Sonic Implants (now called Sonivox) String Collection but there's a few things I couldn't figure out.

1) Just how big (computer space wise) is the String Library?

2) They mention the instruments are recorded in their natural orchestra positions. Does this mean the samples are already stereo panned, or are the samples center and the patches panned? Basically I want to know if I can move the strings around the pan without it effecting the quality

3) Are the samples dry or do they have hall ambience (any reverb) built in?

4) And finally, how do you like them?

Thanks in advance
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Questions about Sonic Implants String Collection

I don't own SISS, but they're recorded with a bit of reverb (not so much as EWQL SO), in the Sonic Temple. It's one of the best sounding string collections (together with Garritan Orchestral Strings) and I think it's recorded in stereo with samples panned (but not sure about this)
    -Dani-

I think it's recorded in stereo but with the players sitting in different places from section to section. So you have the violins seated to the left of the mic, cellos to the right etc... I dont think there is any artificial panning involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    There's no "panning" involved. The samples are what the stereo miking captures in the room with the players sitting in the appropriate locations.

The samples sound great. I especially like the sordino patches. The ambience is present, but it's not out of hand. I think it simply adds a nice start on any additional reverb added.

I have the initial 16 bit GS library.

If I were buying it today and planning on using it for a long time, I'd get the Kontakt version (mainly because I'm quite certain that Kontakt will make the jump to Windows Vista).

Lee Blaske
    I would get it in K2 format too cause K2 is large memory aware, also because you can install K2 twice on your machine, but mostly to get the most of it using legato script!!...Not that i can also load way more instrumnet in K2 with just a little twick. Go for K2!

Only have K2

Thanks for the replies. I've settled on my Woodwind library and am looking at spending more than usual on the strings

Still can't make the leap to VSL but I'm looking at SI Strings, GOS2, and KH Strings Ruby.

The SI Strings gave me that same hair raising feeling ProjectSAM Brass gave me (and that's what I've been looking for). Good number of patches, great sound, decent price.

I'm not too thrilled about the panning and the reverb though. Some of the small chamber pieces I right require I reposition the strings. And my experience with reverb in EWQL Gold has me 100% opposed to ANY ambience in my sound samples now. I'm always looking for as dry as possible so I can make better mixes.

It was mentioned to me however that I could turn of the release samples (though I don't know how) and that would get rid of most the reverb.
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Garritan Orchestral Strings 2? Did I miss the memo?

Post Re: Questions about Sonic Implants String Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JPGarbarini
    Hello All,

I know I could probably email Sonivox about this but you guys are such a great resource (and faster to boot).

I'm looking at the Sonic Implants (now called Sonivox) String Collection but there's a few things I couldn't figure out.

1) Just how big (computer space wise) is the String Library?

2) They mention the instruments are recorded in their natural orchestra positions. Does this mean the samples are already stereo panned, or are the samples center and the patches panned? Basically I want to know if I can move the strings around the pan without it effecting the quality

3) Are the samples dry or do they have hall ambience (any reverb) built in?

4) And finally, how do you like them?

Thanks in advance
    The 16bit version of the Symphonic Strings are about 11 gigs in size. The 24bit version included in the Symphonic Collection are larger in size. The samples were recorded in their seating positions, however you can pan them further without any reduction in quality or depth. The samples have a small amount of hall reverb built in, however this has poses no problems when affecting the samples with other reverbs.

These are still some of the best string samples available. Highly recommended, as is the full Symphonic Collection.

Best,

Kaveh Cohen

www.kavehcohen.com

Kaveh, Could not agree with you more..After months of really diggin in, the sounds are just simply fantastic..I just have the Kontact version now.. This week I shall crossgrade into the K2..

Go Back to forum