• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GVI + VSL perf. tool: does it work?

Share/Bookmark

Question GVI + VSL perf. tool: does it work?

Anyone tried this yet? I would really like to know that.

Thank you!

Re: GVI + VSL perf. tool: does it work?

I just had a look on the VSL forum and here is what VSL answered to some other dude.

i'm afraid you would need to setup a routing similar to HALion - please see our setup guides - nothing i personally would call an advantage over GS ...
    christian
    Can anyone confirm this?

It is possible (I did it with Kontakt before the VSL Opus K2 patches were released - I imagine it would be nearly identical) but the "wiring" of it is a pain. You have to send your MIDI track out through virtual MIDI cable into the perf tool and back into the host by way of virtual cable also, which is routed to GVI. Then for instance in Cubase you have to filter each MIDI-in on a single MIDI channel since it receives by default on all of them, or else you would have to run an instance of the perf tool for every MIDI channel. If I remember correctly, you have to mix down in real time as well.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    It is possible (I did it with Kontakt before the VSL Opus K2 patches were released - I imagine it would be nearly identical) but the "wiring" of it is a pain. You have to send your MIDI track out through virtual MIDI cable into the perf tool and back into the host by way of virtual cable also, which is routed to GVI. Then for instance in Cubase you have to filter each MIDI-in on a single MIDI channel since it receives by default on all of them, or else you would have to run an instance of the perf tool for every MIDI channel. If I remember correctly, you have to mix down in real time as well.

fizbin
    Yea! It is a pain. Just like using it with Halion 2. Not really an option for me.

What i plan to do is load my perf. instrument in GS3, then use GVI for everything that those not requier the perf. tool thrue FX-Teleport(on the same Pc that is... I'm pretty sure it will work since it works with K2 VST(on my giga machine). That way i get to use all my memory and i don't have to go thrue that mess you just discrib. It's not perfect but it's better that nothing i guess.

P.S. The problem with this setup is that i cant load anything in giga once FX-t is open , so i have to load all my giga instrument first and then open FX-T....

Thanks!

Hi - just to let you know there's a bit of hope around the corner, FX-Max AMP to be released very shortly includes a fully fledged virtual performance tool built in, all vsl modes (Horizon, Guitar etc) supported. We developed this with VSL's blessing. Initial release will only be available for Steinberg sequencers (Cubase, Nuendo) as it's in VMA format.

Ian

Hi Ian

And when will this be released .... soon, now that Cubase 4 has been released ?

Thanks
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

I've given dates before and it's slipped - but it should be very soon :-)

Max has been ill which is another reason release has been delayed.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Livingstone

Ian
    Wow! That's great news! I think it's cool that VSL agreed to this.

Hope Max makes full recovery...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Livingstone

Ian
    Ah, that would explain the lack of participation on the forum and his not replying to emails. Wish him well from me please.

D

Here's a question:
    I have already ordered GVI, so I suppose I'll be finding this out shortly. But how about running GVI in standalone mode with the Performance tool and outputting audio in realtime as one would normally with GS3? Is this possible? That way you wouldn't have to go through all the trouble of trying to wire a VSTi plugin.
    I looked at the GVI manual, and could find NOTHING about mixing down audio, so I don't know if this will work.
    I just installed GS3 on my new Core 2 Duo machine yesterday, and the first experience there was a freezup of my OS upon restarting. Not a good start. I did finally get it up and running, but I'm am not feeling good about it. Would welcome a non-kernel based alternative like GVI if it will work.

~Chris

Go Back to forum